Monday, January 10, 2022

Savings Goals 2022

 


I have set a HUGE savings goal for myself this year and it will be quite the challenge.  My plan this year is to live off only half of my net income.  I get paid twice a month so my plan is to use the first paycheck of each month to cover my monthly expenses, groceries and fuel for my vehicles and deposit my second paycheck each month directly into my savings account.

 


Along with that plan I have increased my pre tax savings contributions to my HSA for medical expenses and will still have my 401(k) contribution that will be coming out of each paycheck as well.  I have a total amount in mind for my HSA account that I would like to reach prior to retirement so I have a nice cushion to cover any expenses not covered by my insurance.  Plus, any bonuses I receive and tax refunds will also go directly into my savings account.

 


I'm doing this for two reasons.  One, a final push to stockpile as much cash as I possibly can for an extra bit of cushion.  And second.  This will be a great test for me in that, if I can live well and comfortably on just one paycheck then early retirement will not only be attainable, but a piece of cake!  I will have a clear idea of the minimum amount I will need to live on in retirement and that is a vital piece of information I will need.  It is one thing to think that is all I will need and a whole other thing to put it into practice.  I'd like to know for sure what my minimum is.  So, that is my savings plan and I'm sticking to it!  It looks like it will work out well on paper, but now we are going to find out for real.  Wish me luck!

 

 

6 comments:

  1. My husband gets his first retirement check around the 25th this month. We don’t know an exact amount but it’s going to be tight. I’m thinking ballpark about $1100-$1200 less a month. Thankfully our mortgage and cars are paid off. We can do it but like I said not much wiggle room at all. We do have $$ in savings that’s a combined savings/EF. Plus we have $$ in savings for medical expenses (deductible plus OOP till 100% coverage). That first savings account could in theory cover 3 years living expenses. Our biggest obstacle, other than me in Target🤣, will be finding entertainment for free or very cheap. You can only go to do many museums before you want to do something else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fun to challenge ourselves and come up with ideas. Time to get really creative.

      Delete
  2. I would think also since you still have your daughter at home, essentially two adults that your expenses will be more than in the upcoming years. Kids and school costs are expensive. Are you involved in college expenses too? I remember those as tough years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I offer minimal help the first year of college and then they are pretty much on their own.

      Delete
  3. What a great goal! You are so goal oriented that I know you will make it work.

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...