Thursday, May 12, 2022

Thrifty People Are Not Cheapskates

 


A misconception among many is that thrifty or frugal people are cheap.  That could not be further from the truth.  Thrifty people simply prioritize where there money goes.  I personally am quite content with owning less stuff, living in a smaller home, paying lower utility bills and eating simple meals.  It has nothing to do with being cheap.  I just know what I'm willing to spend my hard earned cash on and what I am not.

 


I am willing to spend money on experiences.  Occasionally I will go out to dinner at a restaurant with friends or family because I treasure that time spent together.  For me, it is more about the experience than the meal.  So going through the drive thru or ordering take out on a regular basis is not something I wish to do.  I find no value in doing that and prefer to eat my own cooking anyway.

 

I do prefer a new car over used, that is my personal priority

My vehicles are nothing fancy, but they are good quality.  I purchased both my car and truck new, which I know is not something a lot of people feel is a good way to be thrifty.  However, it is one thing I do prefer to do as long as I can afford it.  Both my truck, which I purchased in 1997 and my car, purchased in 2015, were on clearance.  The new models were in and these automobiles were priced very low in order to sell them off.  Compared to used options available at the time I was only looking at a difference of a couple thousand dollars in savings.  The idea of paying the extra amount for something brand new that had no previous history (accidents, poor maintenance, aggressive driving, worn tires, clean, etc.) made it more than worth it to me.  And because I tend to keep my vehicles for a very long time as well as typically pay cash for them I knew it would pay off in the long run.  So far it has.

 

These slipcovers have worked out amazingly well for us

When it came to furnishing my home I was practical in the sense that I have children and pets, both of which will do damage, it is just how it goes.  I am willing to replace damaged items more frequently knowing this so it is even more important for me to find what I want for less money.  Even still, I'm not one who has a disposable or a don't really care mentality.  I still want to maintain my furniture and rather that toss it out I will repair it or slipcover a worn item such as our dining room chairs (Amazon $19.99) which are still comfortable and sturdy.  After several years the leather upholstery on our sofa began to crack and give way so rather than send it to the landfill I ordered a slipcover (Amazon $29.99) for it and it looks really nice.  The sofa is still sound so it makes sense at this time to do this.  When the frame on my recliner broke and could not be fixed we replaced it with one we found secondhand on Facebook.

 


I'm very patient and willing to wait for sales, clearance and markdowns or the good fortune to fine something used which saves me a lot of money on pretty much everything I choose to buy.  This has been true for clothing, household items, tools, food and even some services.  It is less about how much I money I can save (anytime you are spending money you save nothing), but rather what is the least amount I can pay for what I need or want and still get the best quality.  Those are my thoughts on the subject, I'd love to hear yours.

 

10 comments:

  1. Our cars were new as well. Bought in the mid 2010’s. Both are paid for. Not sure what we’d do now because they are so expensive. We tend to have them 10 or more years though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never seen used cars appreciate until now. How crazy!?

      Delete
  2. I'm with you on cars. I purchased a new one in 1991. Hubster wanted an SUV in 2001 so I took over his 1999 and sold mine. I then got a new car in 2016 and it is likely my last vehicle as I'm halfway through year 6 and it is under 30k miles.

    Frugal/thrifty means no waste right? In some areas I buy an expensive well-established quality brand known to last and last. Not replacing is money saved its' just that people don't want to spend it all up front whereas I don't mind. My SIL used to say "you could make a bull s##t in the middle of a nickel" (farm girl here). That line still cracks me up. :-)

    Happy Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your SIL is hilarious, I love it! My 2015 car has 28000 miles and the 1997 truck only has 83000 so still new! LOL

      Delete
  3. I like your thinking!
    We do buy used cars though, and we keep them for a long time. Most of our furniture is used, but better quality than some stuff made these days, but the cats have done a number on the recliner so it is covered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good thing for the kitties I like them more than my furniture. Ha!

      Delete
  4. I'm curious - what is your definition of "cheap"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly this:

      Definition of cheapskate: a miserly or stingy person, especially one who tries to avoid paying a fair share of costs or expenses.

      Delete
  5. I can be TOO cheap -- or at least I used to be. I would buy sweaters that weren't of good quality, to begin with, at the thrift shop -- then get mad when they shrank in washing or started to pill. Now I am learning to wait...if I don't find a high-quality piece that's in good condition (or can be repaired or washed to make it so)... then I don't buy it.
    I go home and wear the other sweaters in my drawer, and keep looking. (This sounds weird, but if the need is really important, I also pray and ask God for help where to find it. I can't tell you how many times I just 'happened' to be at the right thrift store or clearance sale that this was accomplished! Definitely a "God thing.")
    Husband the Brick is much smarter about this -- he doesn't mind paying a slightly higher price for better quality. He has taught me to do this -- which means we may wear winter coats and boots for 10 years, instead of 2...but they stay in style and good condition during that time, as well.

    P.S. We bought all of our cars used -- same reasoning. The Brick bargained the price down, in every single case -- sometimes for thousands of dollars. (If he couldn't, he walked away. It really does work.) If you're careful on brand and reputation, it makes it easier to resell -- or do as your older daughter did, and sell her old car to her sister.

    P.P.S. I just now found your Christmas card -- what a lovely gesture! We didn't get our Nov-March mail until mid-April, from Daughter #2's mailbox. (We use her address when we're gone.) Thank you for your thoughtfulness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally believe in the "God thing". I've had it happen to me. Not weird at all. Glad you got your Christmas card! LOL :0)

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...