Thursday, October 23, 2014

How I Plan On Stocking Up On Meat For Winter

Meat prices have been crazy high lately.  My goal to keep purchases under $2 a pound or package has been nearly next to impossible.  But not completely.  On top of that we moved back into our house with a completely empty chest freezer and winter is fast approaching.

I always feel much better going into winter with a full freezer so my goal right now is to fill up that freezer.  So far I've been fortunate to find quite a few bargains in the markdown bin but the sales have been less than stellar.


Last week Albertson's had pork roasts and skinless boneless chicken breasts for $1.99 a pound.  I couldn't pass it up.  Using money from next month's budget I purchased two large pork roasts and five pounds of chicken breasts which I repackaged when I got home.

All re-wrapped and ready to go.
While I continue to scope out the markdown bins at the grocery stores I will be focusing my grocery dollars on a few key items.

Bacon
Ground beef and turkey
Ground pork sausage
Pot roast
Whole turkey - for Thanksgiving
Rib eye steaks - for Christmas dinner

So far the freezer in the garage is only about a quarter full.  I don't need to fill it to the top but it does need to be a little bit fuller.  All in due time I suppose. J

What kind of winter preparations are important to you?


3 comments:

  1. Before I even read our post I made a list this morning of things to try to start stocking up on- meat was one of them, and I have to agree that the prices I have been seeing are really not good at all. Lately when I do see a too-good-to-be-true deal it seems the store puts limits on how many you can buy (usually 1 or 2 of that item) so there's really no way to stock up on it for future use.
    For winter I try to concentrate on stocking up on food (meat, jars, canned items, freezer stuff) and household items (paper goods, trash bags, laundry/bathroom supplies, etc.) as well as starting off the season with a full tank of heating oil for the house. We also make sure we have salt for the walkways and driveway. Aside from that we are now concentrating on winter wear for the family. My husband does the delivering of the newspapers in the middle of the night and in the winter it is cold and he needs warm clothes. We've been getting long johns, hats, etc. for the kids to wear too.
    We actually bought a generator this weekend- we have been looking around and pricing them for several years and found a great deal on one at Cabelas. Now if we lose electricity we don't have to worry about losing the stuff in our fridge or freezer. After some of the storms we have had in recent years it is a relief to finally have one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yours, ours, it all works. LOL. Congratulations on the generator. They are really nice to have. We've tend to get power outages here a lot. I've thought about getting one.

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...