Friday, October 17, 2014

Christmas All Year Long - Books!

I love to receive a good book or a cookbook as a gift.  Even more, I love to give one.  A real life book that you hold in your hand and turn the pages.  Don't get me wrong.  I appreciate the Kindle and all those other technological gadgets out there but I still like a book.

I am always amazed when I go to thrift store how many wonderful books I can find for very little money.  A lot of them are even brand new or still like new.  The dollar store is another great place to buy books.  They stock a lot of hardback books from overstocked bookstores.  I have found many books and cookbooks there as well.

And don’t forget to hit the clearance shelves at the bookstores.  That is another great way to inexpensively purchase a nice new book for someone to give as a gift, or even yourself for that matter.

Lastly, but certainly not least, I like Amazon as an inexpensive book source and you certainly can't beat the selection.  They have every book imaginable, even mine.  Don’t forget to check out the private listings too.  Often you can get what you want for less through a private seller.

When I give a book I also like to give a handmade bookmark to go with it.  It is terrible to be all warm and comfy in bed, ready to go to sleep and discover you don't have anything to hold your place in your book.  So rather than having to get up and go find something I will often include one as part of the gift.

Do you have an avid reader on your gift list this year?




4 comments:

  1. I am a book-aholic and I have turned my kids into book-aholics too! I always try to give them at least one or two books for Christmas each year and I also put one into their Easter baskets. When my son brings home the book orders from school I usually don't get anything from them unless it a book on special for a dollar or two that he would enjoy reading. Another place I like to get used books is at the library. They have a few bookshelves to browse for sale. I never pay more than $1 for a book and often times for children's books they are 25-50 cents. That is where my son picks up chapter books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our library has semi annual book sales. i went to one once but there were so many books and so many people I found it a bit overwhelming. You couldn't browse the books because people were just grabbing them up. I wish they would do a shelf throughout the year like yours does. I would prefer that more.

      Delete
  2. I also love books, physical hard cover books to hold. If they are second hand/used books, it is even better. It means that it was loved more often. I enjoy looking ate yard sales, thrift stores and especially at local library book sales for used books. There are 2 local libraries that have book sales by me. One of them holds it for a week at the local mall. I look at books as treasures. Long ago, people did not know how to read and those that did were select few. Also, to own a book was looked at being of wealth because books were written by hand, making it costly. What a gift that to have a treasure like a book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how you feel about books. They truly are treasures and a great way to visit places and people we otherwise wouldn't. Think of all the knowledge we gain from reading. That is what makes a books such a great gift.

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...