Friday, October 19, 2018

Another Small Home Improvement - Up The Stairs Part III - Done For Now!



I tried to get it done, but once school started that was pretty much it.  Project stalled.  I was able to finish trimming the risers but I still need to do the baseboards and then finish painting everything.  I'd also like to get a coat of poly or shellac on the treads as well.  Until that can happen we will be careful and no one is wearing shoes up and down the stairs.


With the trim completed I was finally ready to screw the treads in place.  Before attaching the treads we gave the stairwell a final cleaning making sure I didn't leave any debris behind.  Next I filled in the holes with wood filler, let it dry, sanded it lightly and touched up the stain.  We worked on it a little each night, starting at the top and working our way down until they were all attached.  It took us three evenings and it felt really good, once that was done, to have all of the treads secured into place.


Then it was time to finish up the painting.  I taped off the stairs with painter's tape and a drop cloth and got all the walls and the ceiling leading up the stairwell painted with two coats of the Pure White by Behr.  It was really starting to look finished at that point and much brighter too.

All cleaned up under the stairs, no more old construction debris and dirt

Screw holes filled

There were two railings that needed to go back up but not without each one receiving a makeover too.  The one that attaches directly to the wall was the first one I decided to work on.  I removed the worn and outdated brass brackets and gave them a couple coats of Metallic by Rustoleum I had leftover some previous projects.  Then I updated the railing by taking some fine steel wool and Howard's Restor-A-Finish I had leftover from when I refinished the cabinets in the motorhome.  It worked perfectly and made it look brand new.  It even took off some old paint that had gotten on there.  Once everything had dried I put the brackets back on the wall and attached the handrail.

Painting the stairwell

I decided to get a little bold with the other railing.  Originally it had been black with a big gaudy 70s era medallion thingy on it.  That medallion had been removed long ago by the previous owner and she'd painted the whole thing white.  I've repainted it a couple of times since then too, but this time I just wasn't feeling the white again.  So I bought a couple more cans of the Metallic Rustoleum spray paint at Home Depot and decided to give it two really good coats.  I let that cure for a couple of days and then I shot it with a third and final coat.

Hardware gets a coat of Metallic paint, even the screws

Before

After

I used the cardboard the carpet tiles had come in to lay the railing on outside on our lawn.  I painted one side, let it dry, flipped it over and painted the other side.  Then I repeated the process.  Super simple, not expensive at all.  But what a difference!

Lower landing with one coat of stain and all trimmed out
I added a second coat of stain to all the treads and the landing

Once the railing had thoroughly dried overnight I reinstalled it.

Handrail installed and stair railing back in place
I really love the Metallic silver stair rail

Even though I still need to finish some painting and install the baseboards it looks pretty good.  I love the look of the two piece treads and the wood landing.  The stain my youngest picked out is perfect.  The brushed metal paint updated that old 70s stair railing quite nicely as did the Restor - A- Finish for the handrail.  And a fresh coat of Pure White by Behr on the walls and ceiling really sets it all off.  I love it.

The hallway still needs to be completed

I honestly doubt I'll be able to get much done between now and next spring.  With school activities, the holidays and all that busyness it will be difficult to squeeze in the time to get things done, but don't think I won't at least try.  I don't like unfinished projects sitting around.  So we shall see.  We are thoroughly enjoying all that we have accomplished so far.  We really do feel we have a lovely home at this point and it will only get better from here.


9 comments:

  1. Awesome, the stairway looks great!!

    Enjoy, Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janie. Even though it isn't finished we love it! Much improved.

      Delete
  2. You girls amaze me; you aren't scared to tackle anything! Looks great!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It has been a great project and something new for me to do. I am really proud of it.

      Delete
  3. Wow! Y'all do good work. : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful as always! I'm envious of your mad skills!

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...