Monday, October 15, 2018

Last Week's Thrifty Moves



Sunday was not the usual slow down and relax type of day.  I was a whirlwind of activity that day as I cleaned, did laundry, changed sheets, did a little meal prepping for the days ahead, picked up my youngest from a sleepover, hit up Walmart for a quick shop, did some family vacation planning, got Sunday dinner on the table, cleaned up the kitchen and then proceeded to drop off and picked up the oldest from a volunteer position she is working for one of the state representatives that is up for re-election.  Phew!


I roasted a turkey breast in the oven for Sunday supper and we were able to have leftovers and plenty of sliced turkey for sandwiches throughout the week.  It was delicious and a nice change of pace.  My youngest called it a "dry run" for Thanksgiving.

Monday arrived, I went to work and it was a relatively quiet day.  Ahhhh.  I had done my Monday chores on Sunday so when I got home the only thing I needed to do was fix some egg roll in a bowl and dinner was served.  It was my youngest's turn at dishes so I took advantage of one of our few quiet evenings and vegged out in front of the TV with my laptop and did some writing.


Tuesday was our craziest day of the week by far.  I headed home from work to make turkey sandwiches for my girls, grabbed some rice krispy treats from the lunch bin and was back in the car and headed off to pick up the youngest from cheering at their final football game of the season.  Then off to the high school for FAFSA night which turned out to be a great thing.  We got all of my oldest daughter's college financial aid applications completed and I don't have to worry anymore about that!  Hurray!  By the time we got home both my daughter and I felt like our heads were about to explode, but it is done!

Wednesday morning I pulled a container of Sloppy Joes and a small container of Spanish Rice to thaw from the freezer for the girl's supper.  After work I picked them up from cheer and band practice and then we headed for home.

Thursday I picked up the girls, dropped them off at home and then rushed off to meet a friend for dinner and girl talk.  It was a great time spent with someone I care about so much.  I love when she and I can get together, just the two of us, and hang out.  It doesn't happen often enough.

Albertson's haul

On Friday I picked the girls up after I was done with work and we headed off to the dollar store so my oldest could pick up snacks for band trip the next day.  The only thing she found was a can of Pringles so we decided to go to Albertson's instead so she could get a muffin mix and bake mini muffins to share with her band.  I decided to take advantage of that and get my groceries while we were there.  I ran into another friend and we stood in the cheese section and bumped our gums for quite a while getting all caught up.  It was so good running into her and visiting.

We were up bright and early on Saturday morning.  I dropped the oldest off at the high school and wished the band luck as they headed off to Pocatello, Idaho for their first competition.  They have a competition every Saturday until the end of the month.  So proud of those kids!

Picked these things up at Wal-Mart
Pretty sure I've got just about everything I need for holiday baking now

Then I was off to Wal-Mart to gather a few things on my winter stock up list as well as a little something for my youngest's birthday gift and supplies to complete my 2019 Planner.  Hopefully I get to stay out of Wal-Mart now until after Christmas.  Once I was home and got everything put away I got busy and completed birthday gifts for two of the three people on my list and finished up putting together my 2019 Planner.  I'll be sharing the planner with all of you in an upcoming post very soon.

It was a wet and chilly week last week.  We added winter blankets to our beds when we changed sheets and I am trying out a set of flannel sheets this year for the first time ever.  They are super soft and snuggly so I'm staying pretty toasty warm at night.  Along with my fuzzy socks.

Flannel sheets are pretty awesome!

I used a rubber spatula to scrape the empty peanut butter jar clean and ended up with enough to make a sandwich.  I did the same thing with the mayonnaise jar and ended up with enough to make almost two sandwiches.

I made turkey broth from the leftover carcass.  

Looks like we got ourselves a double yolker here

I picked cucumbers, zucchini and tomatoes from the garden.  I'm hoping the garden can hang on just a little bit longer before the frost comes.  The weatherman threatened frost one night so I threw a tarp over the tomatoes, but it didn't happen.  Yay!  Not at all ready to have to start scraping windshields.

It was another insanely busy week for us, it went by lickety split too.  How was your thrifty week?



8 comments:

  1. You had a fantastic week- and a busy one. You sound like me, constantly running from place to place. It gets exhausting, doesn't it? I mean, I wouldn't change anything, except for maybe some sort of whatever-I-need-instantly-appears-without-me-having-to-drive-15-places kind of scenario, of course! ;)

    I'm a big fan of scraping out jars with rubber spatulas as well. I do that with pretty much any jar with anything remotely liquid. Those rubber scrapers have paid for themselves several times over (and I think I picked up a few of mine at yard sales for just pennies!). Here's to another great week for us all! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't trade this rat race for anything! LOL. Have a great week Stephanie. :)

      Delete
  2. Every week goes lickety split now! You got a lot done in short time though. I am a little envious of you having flannel sheets on the bed. Our a/c is still running all day and we wake hot every single morning because we turn it up at night and run the ceiling fans. We are probably still 5 weeks from our first frost, but daytime temps below the 80's would make me very happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been darn right chilly here, especially at night. I'd happily trade you weather! :)

      Delete
  3. When you make broth out of the turkey carcass do you simmer it long enough to make bone broth? If so, how do you do that and is there a difference in the look and taste of the two types of broth?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I notice bone broth is richer in flavor and it gets gelatinous when you refrigerate it. It's harder to get bone broth out of a turkey breast though, but the whole carcass works great.

      Delete
  4. I have been enjoying your blog for awhile now. You are one amazing lady. I live in Pocatello! I hope your daughter enjoyed her competition, over here on my side of the State.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tina! She enjoyed it a lot. She was kind of sad that morning leaving for her last band competition to Pocatello. They've done it every year and I think it is her favorite one.

      Super happy to hear from a fellow Idahoan!

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...