Tuesday, October 16, 2018

A Mini Project - "New" Silver Case



I have always wanted a nice lined wood silverware case for my great grandmothers silver.  However, they are really expensive and other things took precedent.  Over the years I've looked in antique shops and thrift stores as well as on eBay for one, but again outside of what I was willing to spend.  Then I found one.  And it was only $4.95!

Oh yeah!

I couldn't believe it.  The outside was a little beat up with some scratches and chipped finish and the inside was really nice except for the cat hair.  Not entirely sure how you get that much cat hair inside of a silverware case, but I figured I could clean it and all would be well.  Especially for $4.95! 

And then it sat.  For months.

All clean inside!

Until I finally decided it was time to fix her up and use her for what she was intended for.  I began by vacuuming out the interior and carefully cleaning the felt with a damp cloth and some cleaner.  I wiped off the outside too.  Then I used my Resto-A-Finish and a piece of the fine steel wool I had leftover from refinishing the cabinets in the motorhome and gave it a once over.

And refinished on the outside

I set it on the floor wide open and let everything dry and boy oh boy did this case look nice.  All shiny and much better on the outside.  Clean and hairless on the inside.  So I loaded her up.  It is a really large case and there is plenty of room left.  I may even add a few "new" pieces of my own two it.  Next time I go to the antique shops I'll have to keep my eye out as I'd like to find a nice serving fork to add to this collection.

Before

After - Much Improved!

I'm really glad I took a chance on this piece and brought it home and restored it.  Now great grandmas silver is no longer neglected and has a suitable place to reside.  Perfect timing too with the holidays approaching.



6 comments:

  1. Wow, look at the difference--that cover is just glowing in your "after" picture! What a great find! Do you happen to know the name of your great-grandmother's silverware pattern?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue. I am really pleased. I wish I knew the name of the pattern, but I don't. I'm hoping to find it and replace the damaged serving fork.

      Delete
  2. Have you tried Replacements? They are supposed to be very good at tracking down/identifying old silver patterns.

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...