Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Our Thanksgiving Weekend



We had a lovely weekend and I hope you all did as well.  I took Friday off work and enjoyed a four day break with my family and friends.  I was very nice.  I wanted it to be a productive weekend, but not over the top with chores and projects.  My goal was to make it enjoyable and I think I pulled that off quite well.

This fabric is so pretty

We began our weekend Wednesday evening the minute I clocked out at work and left for home.  Along the way I stopped at the post office to pick up a book of stamps and a book of Christmas stamps to use to mail our Christmas cards this year.  My oldest drove me to JoAnn's for their pre-Black Friday sale where I picked up a big spool of white thread I needed on sale for 40% OF.  I looked at their pretty Christmas fabrics hoping to find a piece to make a pillow cover for one ot the living room pillows.  I found two pieces of I really liked at 70% OFF so I got a yard of each.

Homemade rolls ready to rise & bake

When we got home I made a fruit salad and baked keto pumpkin custards.  They turned out so good.  My oldest made a Dutch apple pie for her and her boyfriend to share on Thanksgiving.  The next morning I was up early making dough for dinner rolls and baking a cake for my youngest's birthday on Friday.

Before

I got out a spool of old fashioned button thread and repaired a hole in my great grandmother's tablecloth.  

After

This tablecloth was made in 1941 by my great grandmother

I love this tablecloth so much.  Probably not how my great grandma would've repaired it, but I like to think she'd be pleased nonetheless.

This china was presented by my parents and my aunt & uncle
to my grandparents on their 25th wedding anniversary

I set a formal table with my grandmother's china and glassware, the lace table cloth her mother had made her as a wedding gift and my other great grandmother's silverware.  I used my other grandmother's cut crystal bowl for the pineapple salad I made the night before.


I had made cloth napkins with some leftover quilt fabric my mother had given me about five years ago.  I think they turned out really pretty.  My centerpiece was made up of candle holders, tea lights and ceramic pumpkins all purchased at the dollar store.  I think it made a very pretty table this year.

These two were very happy to be together on Thanksgiving

While the turkey roasted I printed out our annual Christmas letter and got my Christmas cards addressed and ready to mail.  I also wrapped Christmas presents.

This girl was just ready to eat!  Me too!

After dinner I made my daughter a Jell-O Poke Cake and tucked it into our jam packed refrigerator.  Friday we celebrated her birthday with a Harry Potter Movie-a-thon, friends, cake and games.  She had a very nice birthday.



Saturday I sewed.  I made an envelope-style pillow cover for the purple pillow in our living room using that pretty Christmas fabric I bought Wednesday.  It turned out beautifully and I loved how it looked so much I decided to make a second one.  It only took half of the fabric to make the first one so it only made sense to make another one.  I used one of the throw pillows on my bed and ended up putting both of them in the living room.  Very, very pretty.

Super cute & really soft flannel pillowcases!


I made some new pillowcases for the girls using up some leftover flannel I had from pajama bottoms I'd made them for Christmas several years ago.  I used some ruffled trim I had in my stash to decorate the hems.  I think they turned out really cute.

Me & my darling girls

I sliced up the last of the turkey and put the turkey bones in my largest slow cooker along with carrots, celery and an onion to make a big pot of broth.  Once it was done I put a container of broth into the freezer and set the rest aside to make soup.  I left quite a bit of meat on the bones so this should be a really good pot of soup.

Gingerbread pancakes & homemade pancake syrup

Sunday morning we wrapped up our weekend with a quick trip to Fred Meyer for a few sales items.  I fixed a big brunch with gingerbread pancakes and then it was time to bid farewell to my daughter's boyfriend.  After he headed back to Salt Lake City I got my Sunday chores done and did some paper crafting while the girls practiced their instruments and did a little bit of homework.  I made turkey noodle soup and a big salad for supper serving it with dinner rolls leftover from Thanksgiving.


Our weekend was very nice   I think it was just the right amount of stuff, not too much to make you feel like you didn't get a break, but enough to make me feel productive and satisfied.  I hope you all had a wonderful holiday weekend.



2 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful post. I'm happy you had a nice Thanksgiving together!

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...