Wednesday, August 14, 2019

School Lunches



It is almost that time once again for school to start and my daughter will not only need to pack a lunch, but breakfast as well.  Her day will begin at 6:00 each morning with dance team practice prior to the school day.  She'll need plenty of solid nutrition to carry her through her day.

I'm a big fan of these lunch bags
They fold up and you just tuck them in the freezer

She'll be using her Pack-It lunch bag again this year.  They are insulated with a gel that freezes and keeps food cool and fresh for several hours.  You keep these lunch bags in your freezer overnight and they are ready to go in the morning.  They clean up quite nicely and you can toss them in the washing machine for a good cleaning and then hang them to dry.


Rubbermaid makes loads of containers to fit inside these lunch bags and a couple years ago I bought a new set that were on clearance at Fred Meyer for $4.  I figured by the time my youngest started high school she'd be ready for a new set and it appears that she is.  I also picked up a brand new package of little 1/2 cup containers at the thrift store for 69¢, which was a steal.  These will be the perfect size for condiments, nuts, olives and other small items to pack in her lunch.


My girl is a water drinker so a refillable water bottle it is.  My oldest had given me an aluminum one she received for free at a conference she attended.  It is the perfect size to pack in my youngest's lunch bag so I've passed it on to her.

I pack my breakfast & lunch for work every day

As far as food goes my youngest daughter has pretty much gone Keto since she got sick last spring.  It has helped her tremendously in managing her current health situation so we'll be packing a lot of good nutrient dense items.  With the potential of hectic mornings in our future meal planning and prepping will be a necessity in order to pull it off.  Since I pretty much do that for myself already it won't be too difficult.  We'll just double everything and pack up twice as many containers.  Plus she'll be doing the prepping right along with me so it won't all fall on my shoulders.  She is a great helper and it makes the task much nicer when you have a buddy.

We use a combination of glass and plastic containers
We only use glass in the microwave

Let me know if you would be interested in some of our meal prepping sessions.  If so, I'll work on posting a few of those.



15 comments:

  1. I use the exact same lunch bags and Lunch blox :) My Big Lots had the Lunch blox for $5 a few years ago, so I bought a few. I love those lunch bags. They really keep things cold for hours on end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've been using them for quite a while and just love them.

      Delete
  2. I'd love to know more about your meal prepping, particularly as we try to eat Keto as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be interested too :) know very little about Keto but it sounds good.

      Delete
  3. We are ALWAYS interested in how you do these...

    I'm also curious about your dealings with the hospital. Did they adjust the bill? (Ours, for two emergency room visits in the last month for Husband, is still coming, though we're getting the radiology bills now.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Alrighty then. :0)

      It is still under review. They have up to 60 days to make a decision. I hope your husband is doing better.

      Delete
  4. Again you are teaching your daughter wonderful life skills helping to prep for lunches and snacks for the day. And learning not all food has to be pre-packaged or drive through food. You are doing a good Mom job with both your girls. They are so much more prepared for life than most kids their ages I'm sure. Loved the posts of your oldest and fixing up her car. Take care. Good mama points to you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Crystal. I really appreciate your encouraging words. Sometimes I wonder if I'm doing enough or doing it well. This really helps. A lot! :o)

      Delete
  5. I can't believe it's back to school already. Looks like you girls have a great system already worked out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. School starts too early Ours started on aug 4. I love to pack a lunch. I have all sorts of containers filled with goodies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your linen closet is amazing. I have to get going on mine. Stuff has been there in ages and won't be used again, so it needs to go. I would love to hear about your meal prepping. I want to get so much done that my head is cleared also! Need all the ideas and advice I can get. Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels so good to get rid of all the stuff we weren't using. Meal prepping coming up! :0)

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...