Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Another Small Home Improvement Project - Master Bedroom Demolition



I am super excited about this project.  It has been a looooooong time in coming.  As long as I've lived in this house my bedroom has always been last on the list.  Several years ago I slapped some paint on the walls, installed a closet organizer system and I had the carpet replaced.  A few years after that I replaced the old heavy dark closet doors.  I haven't done much else in there since.  Too many other things took priority over this project.

I finished packing up her things and removed her furniture

It has been five years since we moved back into our home after being away for a little over a year.  My girls were 10 and 13 at the time, no longer wanted to share a bedroom and neither one wanted to be in the bedroom downstairs.  I decided the best solution was to let my oldest daughter have my room and I took the one downstairs.

Most of her stuff is now stacked in the upstairs hallway

We hung her clothes up in the laundry room

Now that she is moving into the dorms we agreed to "trade" bedrooms and let me have my room back.  I'm moving back upstairs into the master bedroom and I can hardly wait!  The downstairs bedroom will go back to being our guest room and my sewing & crafting room.  I'm sooooo excited about that!

Stack it up!

After purging, sorting, organizing and packing for college my darling daughter packed a bag and headed off on a two week vacation with her boyfriend and his family leaving a HUGE mess behind.  Was I thrilled?  Not for a second.  But whatcha gonna do, you know?  I spent two glorious evenings after work completing what she didn't before the youngest and I got to start the demolition.

The door not only had a hole in it, but it was delaminating too

First up was to remove all of the baseboard trim along the walls and the pitiful excuse for a bedroom door.  When I moved in nearly twenty five years ago the door had a nice punch hole in it.  I always planned to fix or replace that door, but with so many other things seeming to be more important it never happened.  Last week I completely removed the door and jamb and hauled that puppy right outside.  Good riddance!

Old carpet is so gross!

I was eager to get rid of the old worn out carpet so that was next.  I spent the better part of the next two evenings, cutting it up, pulling it up, rolling it up, hauling it outside and then cleaning up the mess left on the floor.  I pulled up the tack strip along the edge and then all the remaining staples before thoroughly scraping the floor to remove spackle and other crud that had been left behind by the original construction workers.

Even the bathroom has stuff in it!  Ugh!

Next it was time to tackle the closet.  I finished moving out the last lingering items before I took down the closet rods and began to remove the organizer system I'd installed about twenty years ago.  The carpet and padding was removed and once again I pulled up the tack strip, staples and then scraped the floors.
 
Carpet up, now time to get the pad pulled


Best helper ever!

Lots of sweeping and vacuuming followed by hauling more trash outside.  We set a very full trash bin on the curb for collection, but all of the rolls of carpet and pad were sitting on our front walkway.  Gorgeous!

I broke up all the tack strip and corralled into this bag 

I thoroughly scraped all the crud off the floor
Thankfully this one wasn't nearly as bad as the downstairs floors were

On Saturday morning the girl and I loaded up all that carpet and pad into the back of my truck along with the bedroom door for a much needed dump run.  I decided to make the most of this expedition as the dump is a bit of a trek for us.  We removed the bathroom door and my daughter's bedroom door and added it to the load as well.  The remaining door jambs and other stuff we can manage with our weekly curbside pickup.

Once again, my partner in crime


No childhood is complete without a fun jaunt to the dump.  I did it with my dad on more than one occasion so it only seemed right that my sweet girl have the same experience so we hopped into the truck and off we went.  We hit it on a good day too as it was only mildly smelly.  After a quick unloading we were out of there paying our $11.00 dump fee as we exited.

Lots of clearing & cleaning!

It took me a total of ten hours to get this room completely cleared out and demoed.  I worked for about 2 hours each night after work to get it completed.  Now I pretty much have a blank slate and a boatload of great ideas swirling around in my head.  Nothing too fancy, pretty simple and streamlined actually.  I'm so excited to get to finally give this room the makeover I've always dreamed of.  Yaaay!!



16 comments:

  1. "Small" project? LOL. You are a whirlwind :-). I'm excited to see what you come up with....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, I may have exaggerated on the "small", LOL. It is going to amaze you! :0)

      Delete
  2. Ha!! you told me to wait and see! You girls are doing a huge project and I'm so proud of you. Funny on the landfill dump rite of passage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a booger, huh? Hee, hee. I hope you like what we end up doing!

      Delete
  3. Can't wait to see the final result! So exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pulling up carpet us ugly and dirty. Funny about your trip to the dump.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is pretty gross. I was so happy to take all that nastiness to the dump!

      Delete
  5. Oh! It is going to look amazing! And your sewing room will be so handy downstairs. I envy your ideas and energy! We just did a dump run and it feels so good to get the junk out of the house. Congratulations to you and your sweet helper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. I'm so stinking excited I can't tell you. Like I said, it has been a long time in coming.

      Delete
  6. I have no doubt it will be absolutely lovely when you complete the work. If you ever run out of things to do there, you can come work on my house. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dump runs were always so much fun as a kid!
    So you're gonna tackle the master bedroom--good for you! It's always the last room to get any attention, I swear. Kid's rooms come first, then the public rooms, and the master lags behind. It took us 18 years before we even threw some paint on the wall/ceiling of our master. There was always, always something that else that needed immediate attention & money. Sigh. Oh well--better late than never! Can't wait to see how your master re-do rolls out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can you refinish the floor, instead of adding carpet? It looks possible, based on the pictures... we did this, after the carpet was pulled. (Our home is 1969, and it was oak underneath.) Turned out gorgeous.

    https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3700-Collins-St-Castle-Rock-CO-80108/13484560_zpid/?view=public

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is construction grade plywood subflooring. Its pretty rough.

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...