Thursday, August 8, 2019

Fixing Up My Great Grandma's Table



This poor mahogany antique table was looking more than a little bit shabby.  Lots of surface scratches and a part of the pie crust trim along the top and split.  I decided Sunday evening I should give it a bit of a makeover.

This is such a pretty little table

After a light cleaning I used some wood glue and fixed the split piece of trim.  I was careful to wipe up any excess glue and make sure the piece was perfectly aligned.  I didn't even need to use a clamp.  It set up right in place and after an hour of drying time I was ready to proceed.

Lots of little surface scratches and the finish is pretty dull

I got out my trusty Howards Restore-A-Finish and some fine steel wool and went over all of the surfaces.  As usual it did a fabulous job and I was amazed at how it filled in the scratches and transformed this piece.

Looks amazing!

No more scratches

I had refinished this table some thirty plus years ago and it has done a wonderful job for us.  I am really happy I was able to bring it back to its former glory and shine once again.  I think it is a beautiful piece and since it belonged to my great grandmother it is definitely one of those heirloom pieces we hope to have for a very long time.  One day I hope to pass it down to one of my daughters.  In the meantime I will continue to care for and enjoy it.



6 comments:

  1. It turned out so pretty. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was scared for a moment, I thought you were going to paint it! That mahogany is beautiful, it turned out great :)

    D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is way too pretty. I couldn't have painted it. LOL

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...