Thursday, November 14, 2019

How Much Did The Downstairs Bedroom Cost?



Nothing!  I didn't have to spend any money out of pocket to renovate this room and I am super excited about that, let me tell you!

I was just thrilled to be able to take my "collection" of trim
and finally get to put it up in the bedroom

All of the trim I used is what I've collected over the past two years from the FREE WOOD bin near my work.  I was hoping to get enough pieces to go all the way around the ceiling and that is what I got with a couple small pieces to spare.  I also collected enough door stop trim to use to run a second row of trim around the room as well.  The corner pieces I used are the end cuts from the other projects we did so no need to purchase new ones and they got used up so no waste.  Yippee!!

These two pieces plus a scrap I had in the garage
got the door trimmed out quite nicely

I had two pieces of moulding left after completing our upstairs hallway and was able to use that along with a scrap piece left from our living room renovation and trim out the door.  I've wanted to get that door trimmed out for a very long time and it feels really good having that off my "to do" list.

Three gallons of paint with a $10 rebate offer

My $30 gift card for my rebate

Home Depot had a really nice paint rebate offer going over Labor Day weekend and the week after.  I decided to take full advantage of that by buying two gallons of Pure White and a gallon of Sweet Grass by Behr.  About a month before that I had redeemed my credit card rewards points for a $100 gift card to use to purchase the rest of the paint I needed this year so I used that gift card at the time to buy the paint.  I received a rebate of $10 per gallon after purchasing the paint and within a couple of weeks I received a $30 gift card in the mail.  Three gallons of paint at no cost out of pocket plus a $30 gift card?!  Score!

Amazing what you can do with a bunch of scraps

Yes indeed, truly amazing

I had just enough leftover adhesive to use to get the trim installed and half a tube of painters caulk too.  I still needed another tube of that however, so I used the new $30 gift card to pick up the rest of the painting supplies I needed for this project.  Surprisingly, I still have $10 and some change left on that card to use on my next project.  You have to know I've already got one planned, right?
  
The carpet cleaned up beautifully

We had not budget to replace the carpet and that was alright.  I borrowed a friend's carpet cleaner to clean the bedroom carpet and used spot remover and white distilled vinegar I already had on hand to do the job.  That saved me the cost of renting one.  Boy did I ever appreciate that I was able to borrow her machine.  It did a fabulous job.

This room is no longer the space we want to keep behind closed doors

So the entire room was done with quite literally no budget and the results are pretty darn amazing if I do say so myself.  Where there is a will you can always find a way to get something done.  You might have to get pretty creative, but if you are really patient and think about it long and hard you will definitely figure it out.  


With so many other projects needing to be taken care of at our house this bedroom wouldn't have been done otherwise.  It desperately was in need of some TLC so this project truly means a lot to me.



6 comments:

  1. Love what you've done with this room. It's beautiful! Questions ... did you take the shelf of dolls down for good?? And does the second door lead to a bathroom??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to redo the shelving and have fewer dolls in there as I do need to sell some of them. You walk into the bedroom and then the other door goes out to our garage.

      Delete
  2. It looks great for a free room makeover.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You ARE the last word in thrifty. That awesome re-do for no cost--what an achievement! I love the way you think out every angle. I'm not sure I would have had the fortitude to collect wood scraps for 2 years to do that trim. You have the patience of a cat at a mousehole!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really hard to be that patient. Believe me! I have wanted that room redone for years. It was the true eyesore in our house. Not anymore!!

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...