Friday, November 1, 2019

Wrapping Up A Thrifty October



I ended September with enough left in my checkbook to cover the October power bill so I paid it really early.  Then I began October with a third of a tank of fuel still left in my car, $7 in my wallet and $21 still left in my checking account.  I was pretty happy about that.  On payday I got the rest of the monthly expenses paid, topped up the tank on my car and did the grocery shopping.  I also made my savings goals adding the extra $$ I had from the power bill already being paid to my savings account as well.  I even bumped up my 401(k) contributions a percentage point so more money will funnel in that direction.

Mid month when I got paid again I took care of our mortgage well ahead of schedule, added more to my savings and retirement accounts and bought a few more groceries.  Looking ahead we have some bigger expenses coming up so not spending much has been a priority in October and I was able to keep that under wraps quite nicely.


I almost made it to the end of the month on one tank of fuel, but with all the extra driving I had to do last month I ended up having to fill the tank again before the month was up.  Fortunately my fuel rewards card saves me an extra 5¢ a gallon with every fill.  I really do appreciate that.

Using items I already had on hand I was able to make a few small Christmas gifts including some co-worker gifts and I got started on the Christmas cards I plan to send out this year.  I've even started my annual letter before I forgot any details I wanted to write about.  I will print it out on paper I already have in my stash as well.


We completed our stocking up for winter in the first half of the month and feel well equipped for the colder months ahead, especially as the heating bills mount.  The weather tapered off and warmed a little bit, but still it has been rather chilly here.

For now we sit and wait to see what our future holds for us with all the house drama.  We find ourselves wondering day to day if nothing will change or everything will.  We are trapped in limbo.  It's pretty crazy.



2 comments:

  1. I get that being in limbo is the worst feeling. Now that I've taken the house off the market, temporarily, I feel a little less stress. But it's far easier when the decision is in your hands and not someone else's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more. I don't like it when it appears that others are in control and I'm not. Very unsettling.

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...