Friday, April 3, 2020

Updating My Retirement Plans


Part of my endeavor in 2020 to GYST is to firm up my plans for retirement.  I've already shared with you my Savings Goals for this year and beyond which include some last minute stocking up of $$, but there are some other plans to make and the time has come to make them.  It is hard for me to believe it, but I am less than 3 1/2 years away from my planned retirement date.  Oh my gosh!


In the last few months I've been firming up my plans of where I want to live and a housing plan.  This has been a really difficult decision for me because I am blessed with so many opportunities.  Because of that I've gone through three different plans, have changed my mind, waffled back and forth and done a ton of thinking.  Probably way too much thinking to be honest, but that's how I roll.  I even bought a sweet little motorhome with the idea that I would start out as a traveler and then settle into a place later on.  I'm really glad I bought the RV too, because I've been able to putter around inside and figure out whether it would work for me.  I've come to the conclusion it probably won't and she is now going up for sale.


My current home is quite lovely, but it is more house than I need for one person.  It is also a two story home which could be difficult as I age.  The winters here are quite cold and I do not love the cold weather.  Our city is growing by leaps and bounds and the cost of living has been dramatically affected by that.  I've known for quite some time that I'd be far better off financially if I move and retire somewhere else.


So after a few years of really mulling it over I am back to my very original plan of purchasing a home in Arizona and heading south.  I am super excited about it and I can hardly wait to get this plan into action.  I've shared with you my love of tiny homes, in particular park model RVs and I've decided to combine the best of both worlds.  A little house/RV hybrid will be just perfect for me.  And it the realm of housing they are quite affordable.


I know myself well enough that I am someone who needs a base, a set place to call home, I'm really not a nomad.  With a park model I'll have more room than an RV and less maintenance and upkeep than a house so I can leave and travel as I choose.  A nice park location will offer me safety and security as well as a community to feed my social needs (I'm afraid that if I was completely on my own somewhere I would withdraw and become a hermit as I have those tendencies).  Overall this is a very economical lifestyle that I can well afford so I'll still be able to do the other things on my ever growing list.


My goal is to have all of my finances in place so I will be able to purchase the new home approximately one year ahead of my retirement.  Then I can have that year to move in and set up my new home.  It will also give me time to clear out and sell my current home while making sure my youngest child is all set and ready to take flight on her own.


So that's the plan, back to the original Plan A, keeping things simple and cost efficient.  Could my plans change in the next three years?  Possibly, but I doubt it.  Through everything I think through and think I want to do I keep coming back to this.  This is, and has always been, the plan that feels right.  And if it feels right I know it is the right plan for me.


10 comments:

  1. That's fantastic, still being able to retire in three years, especially with all that is happening at the moment. I enjoy and appreciate all the information you share with us on how you've been able to reach this point. It's good you now know what type of home to look for and in which area. Arizona definitely has the warm weather you are looking for! Thank you for the inspiration, as always.

    D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you D!! My boss even pulled me into his office this week and asked me if I was doing okay with the financial downturn. So far, so good!

      Delete
  2. We lived in a 38 foot dutch star bus with one pop out for 6 years in a very nice RV park that mostly catered to people living there full time but wanting to travel some. We loved it! The community was fun and we even had a pool. Coffee and potlucks always going on somewhere and had quite a few friends. It was laid back and I felt very safe there when my husband traveled. Would I do it again? Yep! In fact both my husband and I said that if one of us died before the other the other one should sell where we live (paid off already) and get a nice place like that to live in. So that's the long term plan but who knows it might even happen sooner one day. Arizona is a great place to live. We have many friends and family down there and the cost of living in places is much more reasonable. We have considered Arizona at some point too. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am super excited and really looking forward to it. What you describe is just what I want. :)

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on making your final plan. Super smart to "test drive" your RV option before going all-in to learn what was good and what was not.

    Dear friends of ours left for North Carolina last fall. She has RA and the cold was brutal. Most of her daily problems vanished with the warmer climate and the humidity is also helpful.

    You know what is best for you! So happy for you that the light is visible down the road. Super excited for you! I "jumped" last July on retirement and am Blissed out! I can't wait for you to experience celebrating your goals to fruition :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am super excited too Elle! Warmer weather will be much better for me too. So much ahead to look forward to. Yay! :0)

      Delete
  4. Our son just moved out to New Mexico near the Sandia Mountains for a job. The housing was affordable and you get a lot for the money. Stay healthy. Barb in PA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. New Mexico is another great place and one I was considering as well. I have family there too that retired there for the climate and cost of living.

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...