Thursday, February 26, 2015

KIS - Making Lists & My Day Planner


You all know by now I am a serious list maker.  I makes lists for just about everything and I looooove crossing stuff off of them as I get things done.

I happen to be one of those people that if I have to remember it in my head then I am always thinking about stuff so I don't forget about it.  The busier I get the more stuff I have to think about which turns to worry because I don't want to forget and pretty soon I am completely stressed out.  Having things jotted down on paper alleviates problem entirely.  Now if I lose my list we have a whole other problem.


So I keep my lists collectively in my day planner so I have less of an opportunity to lose them.  My day planner sits on my desk and I often refer to it as my brain, or more often, my external hard drive.  Cause after fifty years my internal hard drive is FULL. 

I also keep some of my lists on my computer and I back them up on my flash drive.  As time goes by I find I am getting to be more and more comfortable doing this.  However, nothing feels more cathartic to me than the act of writing things down on paper.  It is still my preferred method.


My day planner is a basic black number with pockets on the inside of each cover and places for  my all important mechanical pencils and Clic eraser.  I tuck my shopping lists, Christmas planner (a school composition book), a spiral notebook of my plans and goals and other important things needing attention inside.  If there is a birthday coming up and I need to send a card I tuck it inside so I know where it is when I need it.  And since it is right there I don't forget about it.

The nicest thing is that my day planner keeps everything in a neat, concise and small space eliminating clutter and it is very portable.  Because of its size I can't overstuff it which forces me to get things done and regularly purge the things I put inside.

The calendar I use is simply one I print off of my computer using Publisher.  It is the same format as the one I use to make my monthly meal plans.  You can easily download one from the internet too if you don't happen to have Publisher.  I also like to keep a small pocket calculator in my day planner for quick math calculations and a few jumbo paper clips to help me stay organized.

Are you a list maker?  Do you use a day planner?  How are some ways you stay on top of things and get stuff done?


4 comments:

  1. I have a Day Planner also, something I picked up a few years ago at a thrift store. It too is my brain. Since I periodically travel for my job it's necessary for me track my mileage and submit receipts in order to be reimbursed. Everything is written down in this book and I have a zipper lock bag inside for all receipts. This saves a lot of time when I have to write up my expense report and reduces the delays in getting my expense check at the end of the month.
    I've also found this planner to be very helpful in my personal life too. All personal appointments, events, coupons, dementios and a list of things I'm on the lookout for at thrift stores and estate sales are in there too. I don't leave without it.
    Vanessa B

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use a paper planner/calendar that is a week at a glance. I buy them each year at Barnes & Noble. I write EVERY appointment in them; I own a smart phone but don't like e-planners at all, gotta write with actual ink.

    I also make daily to do lists with little hand-drawn boxes that I check off when the task is complete. Cheap thrills, eh?

    Love you blog!

    Teri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't seem to get into the e-planner either. I like my paper calendar and pencil. I like to put stickers on it too. So glad to hear you enjoy the blog. Take care!

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...