Monday, February 16, 2015

Last Week's Thrifty Moves


A flu bug hit our home hard on Sunday leaving two of the three of us pretty ill all week.  Our regular menu plan was completely abandoned in favor of easier to prepare meals.

A big batch of minestrone soup prepared on Monday proved to be quite a lifesaver as we ate off of it throughout the week.  Additionally we pretty much cleaned up all the items I had stashed in the freezer as well as any other leftovers in fridge.


On my way to Fred Meyer I stopped at Walgreens on Thursday to pick up some more heart shaped Valentine's Day candies on sale for 39¢ each.  When I got home I made little gift bags for each of my girls.


I picked up four half gallons of orange juice on sale for 99¢ apiece and two pounds of butter for $4.  That was pretty much the extent of any grocery shopping I did.

I received another coupon booklet from Fred Meyer in the mail.  Loads of great coupons I will be using to help me spend even less on the items I buy.  They also sent me a gift card for a rebate on the money I've spent with them in the amount of $7.55.  Love it!


Saturday we did a little investment cooking and put on a batch of pinto beans and a batch of black beans in two of our slow cookers.  When they were done we divided them into freezer containers and put them away for use later.  I saved out a bowl of pinto to use for a pot of soup I plan to make this week.

Not so thrifty was to discover our bag of onions had gone bad, really bad, and we had to toss them out.  I was really sad about that.

The extra pie crust I had in my freezer made it easy to put
together a quick quiche for supper one night.
Pretty much everything I had planned to do this week was put on hold due to illness.  I am hoping for a better week ahead and the return to everyone feeling better around here.  I hope you are all staying healthy.

How thrifty were you last week?


8 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear you and the girls were sickly this week. Thank goodness for the freezer stash and the YUMMY minestrone soup. I made this for the Little One and I on Friday. She liked that she could pick out the veggies and macaroni and drink it too. I loved the flavor and that it made so much I was able to freeze two containers for later. Great to enjoy on a cold and snowy evening.
    Keep those inexpensive, easy and yummy recipes coming. The Little One and I love them.
    Feel better soon,
    Vanessa B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vanessa. I am so ready to be over this crud! Glad you liked the soup. Stay healthy.

      Delete
  2. I so totally love Frey Meyer (Fry's where I live) I have my fistful of coupons and am heading there tomorrow.

    Best thoughts for total wellness for all of you. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope everyone is feeling better. I made the husband's Valentine's Day present. I took apart an old clock, fixed a collage of him and our son for the background and put it back together. Free and pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so cool. What a great idea! I'll bet he loves it.

      Delete
  4. Hope you are feeling better :o]

    Thanks for your comment on my antique store space announcement! I'm excited to share during and after the set up!

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to seeing your booth! It will be a lot of work but a lot of fun for you too. Thanks for the well wishes.

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...