Monday, November 23, 2015

Last Week's Thrifty Moves


I started out on Sunday completely exhausted.  Too much activity the week before wore me out so rather than push myself to the point of making myself sick I gave in (not something I do well) and took some time for myself.  I stayed in my pajamas, read a book and even took a nap in the afternoon.  It was exactly what I needed to rejuvenate me for another full week ahead.

Monday I took the youngest to Honor Orchestra, the oldest to a meeting at the university and then stopped at the library to return books and check out new ones.  Then the grocery store on the way home for bread and milk.  I ended up eating a tuna sandwich for supper in the truck on the way to the meeting.


Tuesday it was back to the university for my oldest to attend her engineering workshop.  The youngest and I hung out at the Student Union Building and waited for her.  We watched a couple shows on my laptop for free.

A friend of mine was kind enough to give me a really nice 9" X 13" Pyrex baking dish.  She is thinning down her kitchen and decided to pass it along.  I was thrilled because after our big purge I was actually thinking I really missed our extra pan and wished I still had it.  Sometimes I could really use two.


I shopped for bread, milk, lettuce and a half gallon of ice cream (oldest's birthday) this week.  We are still enjoying tomatoes from the garden as the green ones we picked have been ripening.

I washed out a two gallon Ziploc bag to reuse and a cute jar that had hot fudge sauce in it.

After refilling the hand soap dispenser at the kitchen sink with the dollar store dish soap I like to use I rinsed out the empty bottle and used that to wash a few dishes.

I mended my youngest's bathrobe.

We fed the chickens lots of really good kitchen scraps and some stale hamburger buns.  In return they gave us two eggs every day.  I also composted coffee grounds, tea bags and egg shells.


I sold two dozen eggs.  We almost have enough saved for a new bag of scratch grains.

I trimmed my bangs.

We took our glass in for recycling.

I stopped at the dollar store to get some items we were low on.

My youngest ordered a slice of this - Reese's Cheesecake
On a not so thrifty note I took my girls to Cheesecake Factory for lunch to celebrate their birthdays.  I was sooooo expensive.  We don't do it very often, but still….  Yikes!

How thrifty were you last week?



8 comments:

  1. I loved Sell this House, wish it was still on. Not a cheap week for me. Some jerks hit my car in a parking lot (that was basically empty of cars) and took off. I had to get it fixed and my deductable is $1000. Cop told me even if they ever found the person, they can't be charged in a private parking lot. Makes me crazy mad just thinking about it. I couldn't live with myself if I dame ged someone's car and just took off. The day before that my washing machine quit working. Fortunately my husband mcgyvered it for the time being. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Theresa that is terrible! I believe in Karma, however that won't help pay your deductible. Here's to a better week ahead. :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks. I believe that God will deal with that person's dishonesty and that is good enough for me (but like you said...still doesn't pay my deductable :)).

      Delete
    3. That it could. I do hope their actions at the very least have made them anxious and lose sleep. Too bad they didn't feel compelled to do the right thing.

      Delete
  2. I need a slice of that cheesecake! Oh that is amazing, bet it tasted even better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty scrumptious. I don't even want to know the calorie count. I only had a couple bites but even still...

      Delete
  3. Yum that cheesecake looks delicious! I hope you and your daughters enjoyed the treat out!

    I was pretty mindful of grocery spending last week, and only bought what was absolutely necessary. Our holiday tablecloth (a hand-me-down from my MIL) was stained beyond use as a tablecloth last year. I've been looking for an affordable one ever since. I found one at Hobby Lobby on clearance for $8. Woo hoo! We packed lunches to take with us everywhere - we're homeschoolers and have activities a couple of days a week. We did splurge for a rare pizza takeout on Saturday night, but I was just too tired to deal with anything else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you had a great thrifty week. I am looking for a new tablecloth at a good price. Never thought of checking at Hobby Lobby. I'll have to take a peek next time I'm in the neighborhood. Love clearance sales. I got my youngest a new hoodie for her birthday off the clearance rack and she loves it.

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...