Monday, May 16, 2016

Last Week's Thrifty Moves

Mother's Day table set for dinner with my grandma's china and glassware

Mother's Day was absolutely lovely.  My girls catered to me and made my day extra special.  They even fixed me blueberry pancakes for breakfast.  Later in the day we had a great time making brightly colored pillowcases for our new travel pillows.  It was a lot of fun going through my stash of fabrics and trims and coming up with these fabulous combinations.  They will be very nice to sleep on when we go camping.  I think they turned out so stinking cute.


Monday evening I bought 10 pounds of boneless skinless chicken breasts on sale for $1.69 a pound.  I laid them all out on cookie sheets and allowed them to freeze overnight.  Then I placed them into a couple Ziploc bags to store in the freezer.  By freezing them separately first they won't stick together and I'll be able to easily take out just what I need.


Tuesday evening we thoroughly enjoyed my youngest daughter's Honor Orchestra concert.  It was a combination concert that also included the honor bands and choirs assembled in one venue.  We had such a nice time and the music was absolutely beautiful.

My beautiful violinist

After a lot of shopping around I ordered and received from Amazon two Coleman sleeping bags, three thermal pads, an LED lantern and an LED flashlight to complete our list of camping supplies.  I only spent $117.00 and I feel pretty darn good about that.  I also grabbed a roll of paper towels while at Albertsons.  They were on sale for only 5o¢.  Lots of checkmarks on that list this week.  Whooo hooooo!

As the school year has only 3 weeks left in it we began purging the girl's clothing.  I added two more items of my own to the bag.  I'll probably take another sweep through the house too before that bag heads off to the thrift store donation drop off.


I rinsed out the dish soap bottle and got enough soapy water to wash up two sinks full of dirty dishes.  I also laminated a sliver of soap to a new bar in the shower so it wouldn't slip down the drain and go to waste.  We also washed out several Ziploc bags to reuse.

I made foaming hand soap refill solution by combining 3 Tbs of liquid soap with a cup of warm water Then I filled up a Bath & Body Works dispenser I had saved a little while ago.  We are now using it at our kitchen sink.  Definitely less expensive than buying another bottle of their foaming hand soap and the soap I used smells really good.


I sold two dozen eggs to a friend.

I picked a big pile of dandelion greens twice this week to give the hens.  Very nice to be able to add that to the kitchen scraps and the regular feed we give them.


I spent a quiet Saturday at home sewing.  After finishing up a couple of projects I had been working on throughout the week I finally got to begin work on the quilt I've been dying to start.  As some of you may remember, a few months ago I bought a lovely stenciled quilt panel with a kind of folk art Americana motif.  Then about six weeks ago I found the perfect fabrics to go with it.  Needless to say, to have an entire day to sew uninterrupted was heavenly and the perfect end to a full and busy week.


Hanging dish towels waiting for their final touches

How was your thrifty week?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...