Friday, March 8, 2019

Laundry, Supplies & Saving My $$



Laundry is one of those chores I actually enjoy.  Probably because I don't really find myself spending a great deal of time on it so it doesn't really feel like a chore.  I usually only run three to four loads a week for the three of us, including towels and bedding, on Wednesdays and Saturdays and a load or two on Sundays.  We also do it together so it isn't just up to one person alone.


I am fortunate that I own a large capacity front loading washer and dryer set.  Both units are designed to use less water and electricity and require less soap to clean a load.  They hold a lot of laundry too which means fewer loads.  I really did notice a difference in our water and electric bill after I got these too.


I prefer to use name brand liquid laundry detergent and fabric softener so I'm always on the lookout for products on sale and whenever possible I try to use a coupon to lower the price even more.  I usually spend about $1 for each item I buy.  For instance, last year I purchased several bottles of name brand detergent and fabric softener I found at the dollar store.  In January I added two more containers of detergent I found on sale at Walgreens for $1.99.  I used two $1 OFF coupons which lowered the price to 99¢ each.  I get dryer sheets and fabric softener at the dollar store or on sale and with coupons at other stores as well.


In the spring, summer and fall I often like to hang laundry out to dry, especially our bedding.  I have two retractable clotheslines on the side of our house and a laundry cross on our fence with eyes to hook the other ends of the lines to.  I don't hang all of my loads outdoors when the weather is nice, but I do like to use them as much as I can.  Sometimes I just don't have the luxury of time.  Last year our laundry cross gave out after years and years of use so I'm going to be making a new one to replace it this year.  I hope it gets lots of use like our last one. 


Spending as little as possible on my laundry supplies, high efficiency appliances and line drying go a long way to help me to spend less and save more $$.

  

2 comments:

  1. I use organic laundry detergent and never fabric softener. Our clothing lasts FOREVER and no chemicals in our clothes. So little detergent is needed in front loaders....it might save you $ while removing the chemicals from your clothing.

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...