Thursday, August 2, 2012

My Latest Finds


Last week we went “treasure hunting”.  Most people probably refer to it as antiquing.  We invited my parents to come along and join us.  I got up early and made sandwiches so we could find a park and have a picnic.  We all agreed we’d definitely rather spend our money on treasures than eating out. 

We headed out at 9:00 am with a route in mind, sort of, and eager to get some things on our wish list.  I drove and Dad navigated, sort of.  There were a few U-turns involved. 

As always I am on the hunt for vintage canning jars and this time I was not disappointed.  I found my long awaited half gallon canning jars at an antique mall in Payette, Idaho and the dealer only wanted $2 a piece for them.  I took four and my Mom two.  I also found two nifty little pint jars at 75¢ each.  We had a ball checking this place out and then we purchased our jars and headed out. 

Next was the Idaho Youth Ranch thrift store at the end of the block.  We spent a fair amount of time their too and found a couple treasures as well.  My biggie was a log cabin shaped syrup bottle for 75¢, just too cute to pass up. 

After our picnic lunch at a quiet little park, it was quite delicious by the way, and a stop in the surprisingly clean restroom we were ready to proceed.  Energized and fortified! 

As we headed back to Boise we stopped at two antique stores in Caldwell, Idaho.  At the first one we found never used vintage lids for our vintage jars $2 each and a great shop owner– whoo hoo!  Mom found a pastry cutter, some glass milk bottles and a green flip top beer bottle. 

Now my big jars hold all my dried beans inside my pantry.  
I have a variety of vintage quart jars holding popcorn and pastas.

Also that day, a stop at a Salvation Army netted me a vintage 4 cup Pyrex measuring cup for $3.  I have been on the lookout for one and was absolutely thrilled with this purchase.  I know I will use the heck out of this measuring cup.  I already have. 

We probably could have done more damage and made it to more shops but you run into the nicest people and get to visiting with them and there goes 20 minutes!  That’s okay because we had a great day and a lot of fun. 

Do you “treasure hunt”?  What are some of the treasures you have found lately?

You might enjoy revisiting Food Storage Containers,  Our Pantry and Pyrex.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...