Friday, August 3, 2012

Honey Oat Bread – Bread Machine

Baked outside in the toaster oven.

I love this bread recipe.  Soft and flavorful, it makes great sandwiches and toast. 

I made the dough in my bread machine and let it rise in a pan before baking it in the oven.   I prefer to do it this for several reasons.  I like the shape of the bread in a regular pan, I think it has better flavor and texture when baked in the oven, it tends to last longer than when I bake it in the machine and there is no hole in the loaf left by the machine’s mixing paddle. 

Honey Oat Bread 

3 c all purpose flour*
½ c. quick cooking oats
2½ tsp. yeast
1 tsp. salt
3 Tbs. honey
3 Tbs. canola oil or melted butter
1 egg
1 cup hot water  

Select the dough cycle. Place dry ingredients in pan and select start.  Add oil and hot water.  Once dough forms a smooth ball (you may have to add a little flour or water depending on humidity) close lid and allow cycle to run completely. 

Once finished remove dough from machine and knead lightly on a floured surface.  Dough should be smooth and not sticky. Pat dough flat and then roll it up. Butter a loaf pan and place dough inside seam side down.  Cover lightly with a dish towel and place in a warm, draft free area. Allow dough to raise until doubled in size, approximately one hour.  

Bake loaf in a preheated 400° oven for 20-22 minutes.  Remove from oven and brush top with butter.
*I have also used 2 c. flour and 1 c. whole wheat flour. 

I made several loaves and wrapped them up for the freezer.  I expect this is a bread we will go through fast.

You might enjoy revisiting Pizza Night and Bread Machines.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...