Thursday, September 6, 2012

The Joys Of Summer Produce


This is the time of year when we are harvesting a lot from our gardens.  The orchards are ripe and it is time to can peaches and pears.  I made my second batch of salsa last week and my pears are picked and sitting waiting to get ripe. 

We have enjoyed so many fresh from the garden salads of all varieties, green beans, snow peas, zucchini and yellow squash, berries, carrots.  I could go on and on.  For me the best part of the garden is the tomatoes.  There is nothing that tastes better than a homegrown tomato. 

I have been trading veggies with my mom and friends for items I don’t have which is a really nice way to do it.  We’ve had so much fresh produce I haven’t had to buy any in about two months now.  There has been plenty for us and our chickens too. 

I’ve been using the extra cash in my grocery budget to buy stock up items for winter.  That’s been really helpful.  Eventually I plan to get out to the orchard for peaches and pears to can.  Our pears will most likely get eaten and made into pear butter before they make it into a jar.  We love pears. 

I think it is so incredibly satisfying to grow your own food.  It definitely tastes better and I’m sure it is much better for us.  I’m already looking forward to next year’s garden too and all the wonderful things we will be growing.  I think every year it is going to get better and better. 

I am so glad we built and planted our garden this year.  Do you have a garden?  What kinds of things to you plant?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...