Monday, December 17, 2012

Last Week’s Thrifty Moves

George & Leonard - ornaments for our tree.
 
The Sunday paper didn’t yield any Albertson’s coupon doublers or any great sales either, but to be honest I was pretty okay with that.  I’m a little tired of shopping.
 
Sunday I made a big pot of split pea soup in my largest slow cooker using 6 cups of my homemade turkey stock and leftover ham, onion and carrots.  I also made homemade gingersnaps, whole wheat bread and a pan of whole wheat dinner rolls.  I was able to put a 4 cup container of the soup in the freezer for a future meal. 

I thought I was pretty clever.  After making the gingersnaps, I poured a cup of hot water into the empty molasses jar to rinse the remaining thick residue from the jar and used that as the liquid component to my pancake syrup recipe.  It should be super yummy with that extra bit of added molasses.  I also plan to reuse or recycle the jar. 

Monday we made omelets for supper with our “farm fresh” eggs and using leftover meat and cheese from Horse Doover night. 

I trimmed my bangs. 

I used a 40% off coupon at JoAnn’s Fabrics to purchase a bag of wiggly eyes for 89¢. 

I made a washable cover for our heating pad from a piece of leftover flannel. 

I made two dozen handsewn felt Christmas ornaments to give as gifts, using up a ton of leftover felt and craft scraps.

Our chickens blessed us with 7 eggs this week! 

How was your thrifty week?

6 comments:

  1. Well done!! :) My month is shot once again... I'm trying to stay under budget & not dig into our EF. This is my goal for the month... we shall see!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your ornaments are really cute.
    K

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Can't remember how I happened upon your blog, but I love it! Thanks for all the thrifty tips ~ wishing you and yours a very Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...