Monday, December 31, 2012

Last Week’s Thrifty Moves

Salvaged wrap, bags, bows, gift boxes & tissue
from Christmas morning.
My last post for 2012 …sniff, sniff.  Oh how quickly the time passes. 

The Sunday paper held nothing of interest for me last week so it ended up in the recycle bin rather quickly this time.  Nice not to be overly tempted to go shopping. 

I made a double batch of pumpkin pie spice and refilled my spice jar. 

I made two batches of buttermilk dressing filling up two pint jars. 

While we opened our Christmas gifts on Tuesday morning I collected all the reusable bows, bags, tissue paper and gift wrap and stashed it in the gift wrap tote.  I also acquired a couple gift boxes for clothing, which is great because I was completely out of them.

 
On Wednesday I stopped at the dollar store and picked up two rolls of Christmas gift wrap for half price and two packages of tissue paper to re-supply the gift wrap tote.  I now have plenty of wrap for several Christmases to come.  Total spent on these items was $3 plus tax. 
 

Thursday I headed to Bed Bath & Beyond with a 20% off coupon and a $25 gift card I had received for my birthday back in September.  I didn’t know what to use it for until it occurred to me that they sell kitchen knives – duh!

I was able to get a really nice Cuisanart sontuko knife to replace the one I broke in half at Thanksgiving.  This one is a little heavier duty and I made sure it was full tang so I won’t have to worry about it snapping in half, hopefully.  The coupon saved me $4 off the regular price and I still have funds left on the gift card for something else. 

Because Petco is in the same parking lot I popped in real quick to use a coupon I had printed online for a free can of cat food.  I grabbed the food and the girls checked out all the pets they had for sale.  I did have to pay the sales tax but still a great freebie. 

We pretty much abandoned our meal plan last week because of an overwhelming amount of Christmas leftovers.  We polished off clam chowder one night, shrimp pasta alfredo the next, stuffed mushrooms and rice pilaf after that and then used a leftover pork chop in pan fried noodles on Saturday.  The leftovers also provided us with lunches.  So delicious and no food waste! 

I started an afghan using yarn leftover from previous projects.  I’m making granny squares. 

Our chickens blessed us with 12 eggs this week and one was another double yoker.  You go girls!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...