Friday, December 7, 2012

The Ladies Have Been Busy


Last week we were very blessed in that our hens decided it was time to get busy and start laying eggs.  We can tell for sure that two of the three ladies are laying, not sure about Lucy yet. 

We got two small ones and a medium size.  I know they will get bigger as time goes on.  From what I have read in the booklet from the hatchery each hen will lay an egg about every other day. Unlike some breeds that are prolific layers and lay daily I wanted ones that weren’t quite so prolific as they tend to lay eggs longer than their counterparts. 

A friend of mine told me she wants to buy our extras.  Right now organic free range eggs are going for $2 to $3 a dozen.  I told her I’d sell them to her for $2.  Already a customer and we are just getting started!  It would be nice if we can sell enough to help pay for their feed.  No pressure ladies. 

In honor of our little ladies we went out on Sunday and decorated the coop with a wreath and some garland we had picked up at the dollar store the night before.  We had an extra set of exterior lights for them too. 

We love and appreciate our ladies so much we just felt we had to include their house with the exterior décor.  I think it turned out pretty cute.  They seem to like it. 

Do you raise chickens in your backyard?

1 comment:

  1. A dozen organic eggs at $2.00!? I'd be in HEAVEN! They go for $6.00/dozen here in the grocery stores... *sigh* Hope you sell lots of them! It's illegal to have chickens here in the city, only country 'folk' are allowed.

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...