Friday, October 25, 2013

We Had This Little Issue


About a month after we moved in I discovered our holding tank wasn't as empty as I was led to believe.  Unfortunately the previous owner failed to empty it out and the waste solidified itself to the bottom of the tank.  That's right - petrified poo.  It was only after we began using it that the sensor started to give these weird and inconsistent readings. 

To rectify the problem we'd have to take the RV back in to have it cleaned out and be homeless for a week while they pulled the tank and some poor soul would have the privilege of chiseling out all yucky stuff. 

Or… 

We could live with it and allow it to soften up and flush it out after a couple of months.  Fortunately there hadn't been any foul odors and the toilet was fully functional so I decided we'd give it a try. 

Leaving the tank closed allowed water to accumulate and soak things and every few days I'd pull the lever and drain it.  I'd also run a hose down the potty to encourage things to move along, which they did - somewhat. 

With winter fast approaching I was becoming more concerned about this situation because I don't want to have to deal with this during the cold winter months.  After a little research and watching a video on Youtube I decided to purchase the Valtarra RV Hydroflush apparatus. 

It works! 

 
Unfortunately it is clear plastic so you can see how well it works too.  I've seen things I never want to see again.  There was a bit of an urp factor at one time.  Surprisingly there was no odor to speak of, thank goodness, while it did it's thing.  You hook it up and let it go until the water runs clear.  Then you are done.
 
Here is the link to the video if you are interested in how this works.  It is available at Camping World and also on Amazon.com for around $20.

5 comments:

  1. Ugh, that could have been a nightmare!! I work in 2 group homes and have had to deal with my fair share of clogged toilets. I could vomit just thinking about it. God bless the poor soul whose job it is to chisel out petrified poo from RV's. Glad this apparatus seems to be working. Gotta love how the previous owner lied to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is one thing when its yours, a whole other deal when its someone' else's if you know what I mean. We purchased the RV used from a dealership. I don't think we were mislead intentionally, at least I hope not.

      Delete
  2. I know that $20 was pennies compared to what you would have been charged for professional work. Glad you got rid of the problem, but hopefully the memories will not be long lasting. :) Hope your weekend is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really try not to think about it. There is no amount of money that could adequately cover that kind of job. $20 is a bargain!

      Delete
  3. I'm so grateful Bill tends to this issue. I expect I would cope if I had to, but I'm really pleased to be left in ignorance. I'm very impressed that you are dealing with all these issues so well. We tend to rise to the occasion and cope with what we must, but still, well done you.

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...