Monday, November 3, 2014

Last Week's Thrifty Moves


On Monday I went to Albertson's to buy Halloween candy that was on sale for $2 a bag.  Great price!  Even better I had two $1 coupons so I was able to get plenty of trick-or-treat candy, 4 bags for $6.

I did not grocery shop this week.

We watched Castle and Sleepy Hollow on Hulu for free.

I worked a little bit of overtime.

I started working on my annual Christmas letter to tuck in with the cards I made to send out.  I also went ahead and put the mailing labels on the envelopes for the cards so they are ready to mail once I finish the letter and sign all the cards.

Party table for the girls
I had some friends over to visit and served them leftover wine from my party the week before.

I signed up for the "Birthday Club" at one of my favorite restaurants.  Next year on my birthday I can go there for a free hamburger.  Whooo hooo!

My dear friend brought me a bag of coupons she had saved for me.  I cut out several including six free item coupons from the hardware store.  One of those items is a sleeve of batteries.  Always a good thing to stock up on.

I used restaurant coupons to take the girls out for dinner on Halloween for less than $9.

The girls used the same costumes they wore last year so we had no added expense this year to dress up and trick-or-treat.


I made a batch of Italian salad dressing mix and then made a pint of Creamy Italian Dressing.  I also made two bottles of pancake syrup.

Saturday evening I helped my girls throw a post-Halloween sleepover with their friends on a shoe string budget.  I served homemade pepperoni pizza and macaroni and cheese.  I also popped some popcorn and set out some leftover candy corn.  A couple weeks ago I picked up a bag of cheese balls at the dollar store and also bought apple juice and diet soda on sale.  The juice was 99¢ a bottle and the soda was 50¢ for a 2 liter bottle.  We used leftover plates and napkins from my party and the same décor.  They played games and at the end gave each of their friends a goodie bag as they went home.  We bought all of the stuff we needed for prizes and the bags at the dollar store for less than $20.  In the morning I made them pumpkin pancakes served with freshly made pancake syrup and apple juice for breakfast.  They had a very good time.

How did your thrifty week go?


3 comments:

  1. I am jealous- I would have loved to be one of the giggling girls at the slumber party! :) Sounds like so much fun. You are a really good mama!
    I checked out your recipe for Creamy Italian dressing and I will be using it! That is my favorite kind of dressing. Thank you for sharing it! I really like the recipes you post on your site- I have made many and they have all come out very good.
    My week was thrifty- I got a huge box of bananas for almost nothing and my neighbor gave me a bunch of Tupperware containers she was looking to get rid of. I used up food that needed to go and we ate all leftovers so no food waste. I got some more items together for a yard sale that we will have in the spring. I picked up some nice fabric quarters for $1 each to use to sew some Christmas gifts. I also went to the local thrift store to scan the dollar rack and got some clothes for my family. All in all, a decent week. I did spend, but I saved too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so want to go fabric shopping. I have so much already but I want to get a couple of Christmas print pieces to make holiday napkins. I think that would be fun.

      Delete
  2. where do you have the recipes for the dressing and syrup?

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...