Monday, November 17, 2014

Last Week's Thrifty Moves

Yum!
On Sunday I made two loaves of Friendship Bread.  Good thing too because I had four friends stop by that afternoon and we immediately devoured an entire loaf.  The other loaf didn't last long either.  I shared a starter and recipe and froze the remaining starter to use later.

I ordered a Christmas gift online for my youngest.  I made three birthday gifts using items I already had on hand.  I also finished a couple Christmas gifts I had started several months ago.

I wrapped the birthday gifts with gift wrap I bought at the dollar store and re-used the bows my girls put on my birthday gift.  They're getting them back. J

I also wrapped a few Christmas gifts using gift wrap, bags, bows and tissue paper I already had on hand.  I re-used the gift basket bag the girls used on my birthday present too.

We got some snow!  Our deck Friday morning.
I watched some Masterpiece Theatre on television using the Roku.  I love those BBC period productions.  We also started watching Teen Wolf.  My girls are loving it.

My wonderful friend gave me a HUGE stack of coupons.  I clipped several from the stack and printed off twelve more online coupons.  I filed them away in my coupon organizer and read the ads online.  I will most likely use about a half dozen of those coupons in combination with items on sale at the stores this week.

I started working on next my December and January shopping list.  I finished making a menu plan for December as well as our menus for Christmas and Christmas Eve.  I made a goodie list for holiday baking too.

I picked up some supplies at Home Depot to make Christmas gifts with.  I spent less than $10.


I stopped at Walgreens and bought two bottles of laundry detergent on sale and with a coupon.  They ended up costing only $1 each.  With all the company we have been having I went ahead and grabbed three bottles of soda and used a $1 coupon making the final cost $2.  I also got three cans of olives with a store coupon made them 89¢ each and a bottle of dish soap on sale and with a coupon for 74¢.


At Fred Meyer I picked up a few grocery items and used coupons or store coupons with everything.  My favorite buy was two new glass Pyrex bread pans on sale for buy one get one half price.  I also had a $1 coupon making my final price for both pans $6.49.


I braved the mall and the rough roads to finish up my girl's birthday shopping.  I used the $10 coupon JC Penney sent me in the mail to buy each of them two new pair of pajamas.  If I used my store credit card I would get an extra 20% off my purchase, which I did, and then they took the $10 off.  It made the pajamas much more affordable.  All four pair cost $46.  I'll pay my card in full next month so I don't accrue any interest.

Saturday evening we made Christmas gifts for the girl's teachers.  I will be posting about that tomorrow.  Then they made origami gift boxes to put them in using scrapbook paper I already had.  A 12" X 12" sheet of paper made four gift boxes.  Each box was tied with a piece of ribbon from my sewing stash.  They turned out really nice.

I washed out a one gallon and a two gallon Ziploc bag to reuse for my next session of bread baking.

I worked quite a bit of overtime this week.

How did you save money last week?


4 comments:

  1. You really have been busy! I read that Boise received 8 inches of snow, is that correct? Even in AZ it has been very cool. Yikes, not used to that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we did! I got 10 inches on my deck. Record lows and icy roads. It has been a lot of fun! :)

      Delete
  2. The magnets are a good idea!

    I rented a video game from Red box using a free code I had. I got a couple of extra days of work in. One volunteer, one had to do. I would rather be home with my baby but we can use the money. I dropped by Dollar General and they had all clearance 50% off. I got two large tubes of Colgate for $1.30, a two pack of baby food for .60, New slippers for $2.50, and a Nerf toy for my nephew for Christmas for $1.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect! Good job on those bargains and the free movie.

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...