Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Laverne Gets Some Love



This post may not excite you too much, but I sure got myself excited over it.  I was back out there working on Laverne!  And it was long past due, in my opinion.  I've been wanting to hang with my girl for a while now and I finally got the opportunity to do just that.  And I got some more motorhome projects off of my list!


No real structural damage

Just dirty and crumbly with the wallpaper messed up

I tackled the under seating storage areas and they needed it.  The one under the sofa needed the most attention.  An old water leak had damaged the wall a bit under there and although the previous owner had fixed the leak he hadn't fixed the other damage it had caused.  Fortunately there was a quick and easy solution to make it good as new.  Maybe even better.

Dry fitting the newly cut luan pieces

Already a huge improvement

Last summer I had bought a 4'X8' sheet of 1/4" luan for this project.  It sat in the garage over the winter and spring and then I ended up commandeering it for my stairway project this summer to spruce up the landing at the bottom of the stairs.  Not to worry though, I still had plenty of it leftover for its original intended purpose.

A fresh coat of paint makes it even better


I grabbed my jigsaw and sander and got to work cutting a couple pieces of luan 11 3/4" wide the length I needed to cover the back of the storage area.  It had to go in in two pieces because I couldn't get a full length piece into that tight space.  I removed the wire brackets and carefully got them out of the way and did a dry fit.  El perfecto!

The trim piece to go over the seam where the luan butts together
Painted and predrilled

Trim piece in place and wire brackets screwed back up

Then a nice coat of Kona Brown by Rustoleum spray paint (my accent color of choice for this girl).  While the paint dried I moved onto another little project which was to replace the missing panel under the sink in the bathroom.  I used a piece of trim (free wood bin) I had in the garage, cut it to length and used some of our stairway stain on it.  Not a perfect match, but not bad either.

I have no qualms about storing stuff in there now.


By the time I got that trim piece cut and stained it was time to put the new painted wall pieces into the storage area under the sofa.  Because there are two pieces I wanted to cover the seam so I cut a piece of flat trim I had in the garage (leftover from the stairway project) gave it a quick spray of paint and let it dry while I installed the panel on the bathroom sink.

The sink was missing a panel

It left the underside of the sink bowl exposed

I predrilled holes for finish nails and tacked it into place.  The stain will lighten some as it finishes drying, but overall I'm very happy with how it turned out.  Quick and easy.  And free!

I cut this piece of wide trim I had in the garage to fit

Stained and tacked into place with a few little finish nails
I think it looks pretty good

With the sink panel completed I got back to work on the sofa storage area.  I predrilled the holes in the flat trim piece and tacked it into place with some little brad nails I had.  Then I screwed the wire brackets back in place and thoroughly vacuumed out the entire area.  Major improvement and I'll feel much better storing things there knowing it is all clean and tidy inside.

Stella is offering her assistance

I have no idea what this cut out was for

Next up was the storage area under one of the dinette seats.  There was a big hole cutout in the side of it and I have absolutely no idea why or what it was used for.  If any of you have an idea what this was for, let me know.  I'm baffled.

Test fit - perfect!

A coat of paint

I cut another piece of the luan to cover that hole, gave it a shot of paint and tacked it up with some brad nails.  That was pretty simple.  I wrapped up the TV, VCR and antenna cables with a big zip tie I had saved from something else, no idea what, and vacuumed it out really good.  Once again I feel very comfortable storing stuff in here.  I think this is where I plan to keep my sewing supplies and machine.

All vacuumed and tidied up

Another space I have no qualms about storing my stuff in

A few other projects I was able to knock off my list was to wax and polish all of the oak cabinets, spray paint the little fire extinguisher holder and a plastic piece next to the door that didn't match the color scheme.  I used her new vacuum cleaner to give the carpet a good onceover.  And last, but certainly not least, I mounted her name sign that my daughter made for me.  It is the first thing you see when you open the door and I just love it.  So perfect!

I love the cozy little "living room"


I still have loads of things I want to do yet.  Window coverings in the "bedroom" and I still have to complete that renovation as well.  Little things, not a lot inside.  This girl was in really good shape when I bought her so there isn't a whole lot that needs done on the interior.  Soon I'll be moving to the outside where some bigger projects await.  Bigger $$ too.  But that is okay.  still have lots of time to come up with it and get it all done.



8 comments:

  1. Laverne looks great. :)

    Enjoy, Janie

    ReplyDelete
  2. So impressed by your handiness! Wanna come fix my bathroom? The shower has been torn up since the first week of July, with tools and dust and yuck scattered all over my upstairs hallway... I'm trying to be patient about it (because being otherwise won't make any difference!), but uggggghhhh....

    Great job! Laverne is lucky to have you as an owner! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear. I'll be right over. LOL

      Thanks Stephanie. I'm very happy to have her.

      Delete
  3. I love seeing how you're bringing Laverne back to life. She's a lovely lady. RV travel is a big part of our retirement plans in a few years.
    About the hole in the dinette - Did the previous owners travel with a cat? I bet someone put a litterbox under the dinette seat and the hole was for the cat to access it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Initially that is what I thought, but it looks factory cut. Not sure what the purpose of it was.

      Delete
  4. Laverne! I love her and I love the sign your daughter made!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! She did such a nice job on that sign. What a great kid I have. :)

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...