Friday, December 27, 2019

My Grocery Budget 2019 - December Update



On budget!  I'm pretty darn happy with my grocery shopping this month.  I made a point to purchase good quality produce, use up leftovers to limit food waste and buy as much as I could on sale instead of paying full price.  Full price items were purchased at stores I knew were lowest in cost.  We ate well, especially at Christmas, and baked lots of yummy treats to share with friends and family.  There was a lot of fun in our kitchen this month.

I found lots of markdown items that really helped me stretch my grocery $$

I was pretty happy about all of these finds

BBQ sauce for a quarter!

I'm always on the hunt for markdown stickers

I found 7 boxes of dryer sheets marked down for 99¢ each.  I'm sure I have enough for myself and my daughter to last until she graduates college.  I also found cotton balls on markdown for 79¢ for a jumbo bag.  Toilet paper was on sale for $3.99 for 12 double rolls so I decided to add one package to my winter stash.  My non food budget is $25 a month and of that I only ended up spending $11.71.

Really good sales and digital coupons helped a lot too!

Our Christmas steaks were only $9.67 after a digital coupon and then the 30% OFF!

I continue to tally my budget and divide it by three people as my oldest still raids the pantry regularly and cooks in her room quite a bit.  Next semester she is forgoing the student meal plan altogether and will be fully responsible to prepare her own meals so I plan to help her with groceries even more in the coming year.  This month I fed a lot of people and we contributed quite a bit to a food drive at my youngest daughter's high school.  Overall I'm really happy that I was able to do all of that and still maintain a fairly full pantry and freezer while staying on budget.

All of these items were loss leaders on sale at two different stores

More loss leader items

Here is the food I bought this month:



$150.07 ÷ 31 days ÷3+ people = $1.61 per person per day!

Freebies!!

Update on November:  A math error, pointed out by one of my lovely readers, in my favor!  I'd put the decimal point in the wrong spot making my 78¢ green onions $78!!  Yow!  No wonder I thought I was over budget.  Once I fixed that I was way under.  Much better!

$133.54 ÷ 30 days ÷3 people = $1.48 per person per day!



2 comments:

  1. Don't forget the extra people you fed this month! You actually did WAY better than your final total suggests.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cindy. I think I ended the year quite nicely. :o)

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...