Monday, September 22, 2014

Last Week's Thrifty Moves

Bell Pepper Quesadillas & Tomato Basil Soup
After checking the new grocery ads on Sunday morning we headed out with our list to buy items on sale to add to the freezer and pantry.  We found quite a few bargains on meat in the markdown bin at Albertsons.

I ordered, what for me will be, a two year supply of my favorite coffee because it was nearly half the price of what they charge at the supermarket and, of course, I got free shipping with a $50 minimum order.


After shopping around on two separate weekends and "test-driving" mattresses I found a bed I liked but not the price.  After researching online I found it on eBay for a third of the price so I ordered it.  As much I would like to support the local economy I just don't have the means to overspend like that.  The bed was also shipped for free and I put it on my PayPal account which offered me a 12 months same as cash offer.  Once again I will keep my cash in my account and pay it off before the year is up!

Even though my new living room furniture is on a 6 months same as cash offer I sent in a payment this week for nearly half the amount I had spent.  My minimum payment was only $16 and wasn't due until next month.  I used the money from my state tax refund this year to make that payment.

I listed the truck shell I had been using on my pick up for sale on Craigslist.

We saved money on groceries by enjoying a delicious homemade tomato soup along with bell pepper quesadillas for supper for a super thrifty meal.  I also made our other meals large enough for leftovers a second night and in our lunches throughout the week.  As a result I didn't make everything I had planned so I will have other ingredients to use later on.

A friend brought me a bunch of coupons and I got a coupon book in the mail from Fred Meyer.  The coupon book was for a lot of the things I buy from them so I was super excited when I went through it.  After going online to print off seven more I cut out a lot of coupons and organized them for my next big shopping trip.

I printed out a new copy of my pantry list and began my shopping list for next month.  I will be scouting out sales and bargains to buy what is circled on it in the coming weeks.

I repurposed buckets I had been using in our RV.  They are now our bathroom trash cans.  One for upstairs and the other one down.  Saved me a few bucks and they aren't going to waste.  They aren't overly attractive so I have them stashed under the sink.

A third bucket is now under our kitchen sink.  I use plastic shopping bags as liners and it is plenty big enough for our needs.  I've never been one to like a big kitchen can full of trash sitting around and prefer to empty a smaller one more frequently.  Most of our trash ends up in the recycle bin anyway.


Saturday morning we got up early and headed off to pick up some sales items at one of my two favorite grocery stores and to see what might be added to their markdown bin in their meat department.  This is what I found:

Albertsons -

3 pkgs. 85% lean ground beef - markdown to $2.71, $2.51 & $2.68
2 pkgs. sliced turkey - markdown to $1.99 each
1 pkg. sliced salami - markdown to $1.99
1 pkg. pork sausage $1.75
1 pkg. boneless, skinless chicken breasts - $1.95
4 cans tuna - on sale again this week for 69¢ each
1 gallon of whole milk - $1.88 with a store coupon
1 10# bag of russet potatoes on sale for 99¢
5 pkgs. breakfast sausage links on sale 10/$10
3 pkgs. Baking chips - on sale $1.79 each

This is the main reason I wanted to go to the store. Yum!
I made a batch of Italian Black Bean Soup using the package of sausage I found in the markdown bin at the store.  I put away four cups of soup in the freezer for a future quick meal.

As a family we watched Anastasia and I started watching The Sopranos on Amazon with my Roku.  Tee hee.  I really like that thing. 

What thrifty things did you accomplish last week?

4 comments:

  1. I have always struggled with buying local. I want to support local businesses, but I cannot justify paying more money to do so. I have a limited amount of money that needs to be stretched more and more these days :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid that is going to be the wave of our future. With my income I can't justify it either. I have to make every dollar count.

      Delete
  2. We ordered our mattress and bed frame online too. I live in a small town, there aren't a lot of options. And it was so much easier anyway.


    We made our own ant poison instead of buying some. And it works great too. I cut my own hair and the husband trimmed up any little pieces I missed. I absolutely hate going to get it done and my hair is such a natural mess nd takes so long to fix it is usually just in a ponytail anyways. I cashed in my Bing points for an Amazon gift card. Downloaded the free Xbox game. My mom gave me some food she got on sale and used coupons for so it was cheap for her, free for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job!! Super deals on everything- especially all of the meat! I never see that much markdown meat in my regular grocery store but I am all over it when I do see some. And a 10 pound bag of potatoes for 99¢?? Really?? I'm jealous!!
    I have some Italian sausage that needs be used up. Your Italian Black Bean Soup sounds good.
    And I LOVE the movie Anastasia! I remember in school when I researched the actual story behind that Disney movie. it was very interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...