Monday, September 29, 2014

Last Week's Thrifty Moves

Sunday I went to ShopKo because I had a $12 store coupon about to expire and a list.  I needed a new set of sheets to fit my new bed and it was time to get the youngest some new school clothes.  I found a beautiful set of Egyptian cotton sheets for $89.99 on sale for $34.99 and jean for the girl for $11.99 each.  I bought her two pair and a really cute top we found on clearance for $7.49.  I also bought myself 3 pair of black dress socks for work on sale for $4.99.  By the time we checked out and I used the coupon I ended up getting one pair of my daughters jeans for free.  Yaaay!  When they gave me my receipt they also gave me a $10 coupon for my next visit.

Although the bill for the credit card I used to order my dining room chairs and table hasn’t come yet I went ahead and logged onto my account online and made an early payment using the overtime I earned this past pay period.  When my bill comes next month I plan to pay off the remaining balance.

When I moved back into the house I decided to switch my mortgage payment dates around to different paydays.  This week I paid my house payment ten days early which will now be the norm and will save me quite a bit of interest in the long run.  Adding a few extra dollars each time will add to the savings.

I listed the RV for sale on Craigslist and reposted the camper shell.  I also listed our cute little washing machine. 

I spent $4 for a can of white spray paint and repainted our stair rail.  It turned out really nice.

I baked two loaves of whole wheat bread and made a big batch of refried beans.  I put up four containers of the beans in our freezer and used a fifth one to make beef and bean burritos for our supper one night this week.

Saturday morning I printed off a $4 coupon online for my favorite shampoo.  At Walmart I was able to use it to buy a large bottle of shampoo and one of conditioner.  I found that the big bottles were only a dollar more for almost twice as much as the regular size making it a much better bargain.  Factoring in the coupon it made the big bottles half price.

I worked six hours of overtime this week. 

Did you find some ways to save money last week?

6 comments:

  1. Nice savings all around this week for you! Great job with the jeans at ShopKo and Shampoo at Walmart. We were just talking last week about switching our mortgage payment date too- it may help us to be able to pay a little more towards it if they change it for us.
    I remember several years ago at one of the jobs I was working at my boss had piled a ton of work on us, which we groaned at, but then told us that we could work as much overtime as we needed to get it done- whoo-hoo! For weeks I was in the office at my desk at 4:30am and I stayed until they locked up for the night. I was really tired but I got all the work done and my paychecks rocked! I loved the feeling of catching up on bills and getting ahead a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited to see my next paycheck and to use it to hopefully pay off the living room furniture. In less than a month!!! Whoo hooo! I'm really tired but I know it is short term.

      Delete
  2. I am totally amazed at how much energy you have. That is a lot of cooking, projects, shopping and working too! Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, at the end of the day I'm exhausted. :) But I sleep really good!!

      Delete
  3. How does changing the date your mortgage comes out save you interest?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You pay on the principal sooner and reduce the amount owed which saves on the interest. It is amazing when you sit down with a mortgage calculator, available online, and see how much a small change can make in the long run. Just adding a few extra bucks to each payment makes a huge difference. One extra payment a year takes years off your mortgage. Every little bit helps.

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...