Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Welcome Home


Over Labor Day weekend we moved back into our house.  It wasn't what we had originally planned but I have to admit I'm happy it has worked out this way.  We had planned one more year in the RV and then moving into a different place when the girls were at a point that they would both be changing schools.  However, as I know all too well, plans change.

When I picked up July rent from my tenant she informed me she was having money troubles and was concerned about paying the rent.  Her roommate had lost his job and wasn't able to help her at all.  She also shared a few other financial worries she was having.

After talking with her some more I proceeded to issue her a 30 day eviction notice which was actually six weeks.  In Idaho, this is the way to legally take back your home once you have rented it to someone.  It sounds meaner than what it actually is.

As it turned out she couldn't make rent in August so I had to cover the mortgage in addition to our regular monthly expenses.  This is why having an emergency fund was so important to me.  It literally saved my hide.

When my tenant moved into the house fourteen months ago she bought my front loading washer and dryer from me.  She agreed to leave it for me in good shape and working order as remuneration for the rent.  I agreed and that has worked out well for both of us.

On Saturday we packed away the fragile stuff and loaded up our RV.  Sunday morning we got up early to flush the holding tank and disconnect the water, power and sewer lines.  A friend of ours hooked up the trailer to his truck and brought it to the house.  He backed it into the driveway so I am able to unpack and move in at my leisure.  It was the smoothest and easiest move I have ever made.  After all the crazy crap that happened last summer I am incredibly grateful.

Our longtime next door neighbors were extremely happy to discover we were back.  There were lots of hugs.  It was the best welcome ever.  We have our work cut out for us.  Tenants rarely take care of your home the way you do so we'll be busy. 

I am so grateful to my friends for taking the time to help me out and get us moved on to the next chapter in our life.  Thank you my dear friends!!!!!

6 comments:

  1. Wow, that's big news!! Congrats!! I hope you get settled quickly! What will happen to your RV now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am planning to sell it. It is so big it takes up practically the entire driveway and is much larger than we would use for regular camping.

      Delete
  2. Wow, that's big news. I guess I didn't know you had a house you were rented. You were so smart to evict them so quickly. I hope the house isn't in too bad of shape. Glad the renter left without difficulty. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty messy. Carpets especially but we managed it. Three days of serious cleaning. Our yard suffered as well and they left a lot of trash. All of these things can be dealt with. :) It's good to be home.

      Delete
  3. I would love a tour of your house, to compare to the RV tour you had last year. :-) Please, of course.
    - molly

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...