Tuesday, September 30, 2014

The Joy Of Spray Paint


Got something a little on the ugly side?  Just grab a can of spray paint and make it darling!

Our little mini fridge was beginning to show its age and a couple of scratches on the side had decided to rust.  Not the shabby chic look we were going for and since it still works like a champ we weren't too motivated to trash it either.


My oldest decided she wanted it in her new "teenager hangout/bedroom" so we decided to paint it.  She chose a can of turquoise paint at Home Depot and we got to work.  After spending a little time cleaning up the outside of the refrigerator she carefully masked it off with painters tape.  Then she gave it a final wipe down with a clean rag and some rubbing alcohol to make sure there wasn't any type of residue on it that would cause the paint to lift.


I had the pleasure of doing the actual painting.  I gave it two coats and two hours later it was ready to move upstairs to the "hangout".  She loves it and I think it turned out fabulous.

That project motivated me to grab a can of gloss white and give our stair rail a fresh coat of paint.  It had been awhile since it had been painted and the tenants had removed it to bring down their furniture from upstairs and had left it leaning against the living room wall.  May as well spruce it up before I go to the trouble of re-installing it.  Right?!


We cleaned it off and gave it a once over with rubbing alcohol just like the fridge.  It amazed me how much stuff came off the railing with the rag and alcohol after it had just been cleaned.  After two good coats of paint and a couple hours to dry the three of us girls got it back in the house and screwed into place on the stairs.

How cute is this!?!

It felt really good to give two worn out items a much needed facelift.  I almost forgot how much I love these kinds of projects.  Now they are done and I am fueled to get going on another one.  Hmmmmm.  I wonder what it will be? 

It's really good to be home.

2 comments:

  1. Love Love LOVE the fridge!!! And the stair rail looks great! Makes me want to grab a can of spray and spray something. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's catching. I woke up this morning wondering what I could paint too. :)

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...