The fact that there is even a pantry in this little motorhome to begin with just thrilled me to no end. The layout was exactly as I wanted, but it did need a little facelift and some minor improvements. I got busy doing just that. So busy in fact, that I forgot to take some before pictures.
First things first I took out the removable shelves so I could give them a nice fresh coat of spray paint (Rustoleum spray paint + primer - Kona Brown - $3.87). They were white and I wanted them to match the new ones I'd been installing in some of my other cupboards. I also wanted to add a piece of trim to the front of each shelf to help keep things from sliding off while in transit and to give them a more finished look consistent with the other shelves.
When I was cleaning out the pantry I noticed the base of the cabinet was warped. I think, by the looks of it, the previous owners had stored water jugs in there and at one time they had leaked causing the particle board to do exactly what particle board does when it gets wet. I removed that section and found a piece of a 12" wide shelf that I had leftover from a project several years ago in the corner of the garage and guess what? Perfect fit! I gave it a couple good coats of paint and once it was dry I put it in place with a couple drywall screws.
The cabinet underneath the pantry will be perfect for appliance storage. Like maybe my bread machine. It was missing a small piece of wood at the back so I cut a whole new board, again from my stash, and painted it too. Once it was dry I installed it.
|I'm pretty sure I can get my bread machine in here|
With all the shelves painted and trim pieces added to them they went back in place in the pantry next. I let everything sit and dry for 24 hours before I cut some rubber gripper shelf liner to fit. I had run out of the stuff I had bought on sale at ShopKo so I ordered some more from Amazon. A 20 foot roll so I'd have plenty to finish up with.
|The little switch on the left controls the light|
The pantry has a switch that turns on the light inside when you open the door and off when you close it. The latch to hold the door closed was broken so the light had been turned off. I replaced the latch with a new one I picked up at Home Depot ($1.97) and then activated the light so now the switch controls the light again. Yaaay!
Another project completed and crossed off the list.