Friday, October 5, 2018

Adding Some Halloween Touches



This year I was super excited to add some Halloween to my Fall decor.  Most of my things I've had for years.  My favorite being these two little ghosts I bought at a thrift store five years ago when we were living in our RV.  They were only 65¢ a piece and I just absolutely love them.  They make my heart happy.

Downright spooky!

Last month I picked up something new at Dollar Tree to add to my small collection of Halloween decorations.  A cute little ghosty with the mosty to hang on the eave above our front porch. I thought the ghost was super cute and only $1!.

Welcome!  Or are you?

I found the BEWARE sign at Dollar Tree last month and thought it would be the perfect addition to our Fall porch decor.  I decided to hang it under the door bell button, so you've been warned.

Look at how pretty the mums are

And the trick or treat sign for Leonard's favorite chair.

Mama & her girls

Several years ago I invested in this set of electric jack-o-lanterns because, to be honest, none of us enjoy carving fresh pumpkins.  My kids don't like the smell or the feel of the pumpkin guts so I always ended up finishing them myself.  Plus once you've put in all that work they don't last very long and around here the squirrels eat them.  These guys have stood the test of time and take about a minute to set up and enjoy.  Plus they're just plain stinkin' cute!


I've had this little book of Halloween crafts that I picked up on clearance at a bookstore I'll bet more than 20 years ago.  I always like to set it on our mantle, but this year I put it on the stove next to my great grandmothers bean pot along with the little jack-o-lantern I picked up at the dollar store well over a decade ago.


And another one of my most favorite decor pieces is this terra cotta jack-o-lantern that I got at ShopKo a few years ago.  It was on sale and I had a coupon so he ended up being pretty much FREE.  He has a cutout in the back for a candle or to stick a light inside and is meant for your yard or porch, but I prefer to have him indoors where I can see and enjoy him more.

A new Halloween soap for the kitchen sink

And my oldest decoration is this black cat I've had for 20 years!
Don't mind all of the clothes in the background, we were folding laundry at the time

So that is it.  Not a lot of Halloween decor with just a few well loved pieces, but enough to let you know what season we are in.  Do you decorate for Halloween?



14 comments:

  1. Well it looks like Halloween around your house. I hope to get down my stuff today and put out a few things. The older I get, the less I decorate. I know it has to come back down in a few weeks. lol The black cat.... perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Henry is a great decoration. :) Have fun decorating your home.

      Delete
  2. You have some really great pieces there! Your great-grandmother's bean pot is my favorite, though; what a treasure that is! (And okay, I'm pretty partial to your kitty, too! I have two of my own and when they're not screaming at me to feed them or screaming at each other, they're wonderful.)

    I'm not much of a decorator, sadly. I don't have a lot of flat surfaces to place decorations, I worry that things would be stolen from our porch (we've had problems with theft in the area, especially out of unlocked cars, and my son's bike was stolen from the driveway a few years ago), and decorating would be just one more thing on my list, you know? If I could snap my fingers and the house would be decorated, that would be perfect...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I put all of the cookie cutters from my various grandmothers inside the bean pot. It is a real treasure, no doubt. So are my kitties. :)

      Delete
  3. Wish I had cute kitties to decorate with!
    (We had a kitten disappear one Halloween; I tried not to think about what might have happened. The black kitten, however, was fine. I'm guessing they didn't see him...)

    Husband does not believe in celebrating Halloween, though he did as a kid -- and so did I. It was hard when our daughters were growing up, though I tried to do something special for them (a monster movie, special snack, something like that.)
    When they moved out of the house, they went to dressing up and Halloween parties with a vengeance. I didn't blame them one bit -- it IS fun.
    So now Husband will watch the monster movie with me (usually an old one) and we'll hand out candy to the two or three kids that show up. But that's it. He is such a fine man in so many ways that I figure we all have our posits and quirks...and if I have to put up with that once year, it's worth it. But your decorations are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like the gross and evil side of the holiday myself. We've always done it up to be fun and cute, otherwise I wouldn't do it either. I don't blame your husband one bit. Candy is good too! But of course this year I won't be eating any of that. So I guess I'm making up for it with decorations. :)

      Delete
  4. All your decorations are great, but I have to say Leonard is my favorite :)

    D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's my pumpkin kitty! Love that big guy. He is such a snuggler too.

      Delete
  5. You really do a great job making your home look cozy and festive. I put up a few Halloween decorations--the kids' favorite light up spooky houses, and some quilts I made. I plan on splurging this year on a hand blown glass pumpkin. We also always carve jack-o-lanterns. In previous years, I grew my own pumpkins, but this year, I didn't have a garden, so we will purchase the pumpkins. Since we are too far out to get trick-or-treaters, we put the jack--lanterns on the hearth. It was always such fun to come in from trick-or-treating, light them, and watch the kids fall asleep on the couch. Even my youngest is too old to dress up and head out, but we still enjoy the carving, candles and candy!
    Thank you for yet another glimpse into your lovely home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Meg. It is fun to share with everyone as we've been transforming out home recently. I love the traditions you've had for the holidays. I'm hoping to grow sugar pumpkins next year in our garden. Enjoy your new glass pumpkin. Sounds lovely.

      Delete
  6. I was never into buying many Halloween things even though we did costumes, trick or treating, and Halloween Carnivals with a vengeance. Then, one day I saw a ceramic candy dish, flat-ish one, that had a smiling jack 'o lantern face, and I was hooked. I don't like the fierce stuff in my house because the smiling ones are a better atmosphere. I am not at all against the gross stuff, just not in my house or yard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you Linda. I don't like the gross stuff either, but I'm a sucker for a smiling jack-o-lantern. Keeping it cute and fun is what we are all about at our house.

      Delete
  7. Autumn is my favorite month and I love all your decorations! I like the patchwork background. I switched to foam pumpkins too. Much easier to deal with and no mess. My decorations go to just autumn and I leave them out till after Thanksgiving. Very simple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's pretty much what I do too. After the 31st I'll gather up all my Halloween stuff and leave the rest until after Thanksgiving. Then it is time for Christmas decorating!!

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...