Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Stocking Up The Holiday Pantry



It has begun!  I'm stocking up now in anticipation of the holidays.  We plan to do some baking and entertaining this year.  And a big part of our Christmas gift making is going to take place in our kitchen this year.  To be ready I'm starting now.


Fortunately I've done well stocking our pantry and freezer for everyday.  Now I can focus our grocery dollars on other things I don't normally buy.  The grocery stores have already been having sales on baking items and I have been able to get baking chips, brown sugar, powdered sugar, granulated sugar, eggs, butter and walnuts all on sale and at a really good price.


Dollar Tree is also starting to stock their shelves for the holidays and in the grocery aisle I found marshmallow creme there for less than what it is in the grocery store so I stocked up on that too.  I use it to make my fudge.


Most of what I need for our holiday meals I have either in the pantry or the freezer.  I still have a few items to pick up however, but I have plenty of time to wait until I hit a really good sale or find it on markdown.  I'm hoping for a really good sale on rib eye or New York strip steaks again for Christmas dinner.  Maybe even a roast.  If not, I'm not worried as I have turkey breasts and a big ham in the freezer already.


If you plan to prepare any big holiday meals or do some baking now is the time to get started.  Gathering things a little bit at a time and storing them will save you from a big cash outlay at the last minute.  I am using my regular budget and won't have to worry about overspending on groceries at the holidays.  Plus it is a great way for us to make some gifts to give without having to find extra money to do so.


Planning ahead and stocking up a little at a time really makes sense for us.  And come this Thanksgiving and Christmas we're going to have a lot of fun in our kitchen.



12 comments:

  1. The Grocery Outlet near us has 15 ounce cans of pumpkin for $0.50 each. I didn't buy any, though, because I stocked up at another store when they were $0.99 each.
    Our holiday celebrations traditionally start around Veteran's Day weekend, when I spend the day making Chex Mix--not sure how that tradition got started, but there it is!
    Turkey breast for Thanksgiving was purchased earlier in the year at $0.99lb. The freezer is filled with chocolate purchased at Rite Aid's 75% off post-Christmas sale. I picked up a few gifts then, as well.
    A good deal of our holiday celebration revolves around the kitchen. Like you, I want to be there, or enjoying some freshly made hot buttered rum in my living room--not at a checkout stand!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’ve never really baked gifts before but this year? Well I resigned from full time work in July. I’m now only part time. Start there tomorrow and most likely will only be 12 hours a week. So baking may be what we need to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dollar tree had really cute cookie tins last year. You may want to check there to see what they stock this time and make some yummy cookies. Stick a bow on top and you are good to go! Ha, ha.

      Best wishes on the new job. :)

      Delete
  3. I have done this all my married life. Otherwise, I could never afford holiday food. I am going to check out the Dollar Tree tins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see people lay out $200 to $300 in one grocery trip and I always wonder how they do it? Pretty crazy!

      Delete
  4. This post excited me! I am ready to start the holiday season. My little fingers are busy crocheting wash cloths for quick little gifts. I'm going to check out the dollar store for some bargains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited for the holidays too! Going to be such a great time. :)

      Delete
  5. I love doing holiday baking too! Unfortunately, the good baking goods sales only start in November around here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is how it used to be here too, but they have been getting started earlier the past couple of years.

      Delete
  6. When do you put up your tree and decorations?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I start decorating on December 1st and we usually put the tree up on the first Saturday. It all comes down on New Year's Eve.

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...