Tuesday, October 9, 2018

Our Christmas Budget This Year



We don't have one.  We did, but we don't anymore.

At the beginning of the year I'd taken a $200 gift card I had received from work last Christmas and set it aside to be used for this year.  Then over the summer, we decided to use it to help pay for supplies for all of our home improvement projects.  We all agreed we wanted to fix up our home and that somehow I would manage Christmas another way.  My girls were in full agreement knowing how happy it would make me to have our home looking its best, especially if it meant new carpet.  They really wanted new carpet as much as I did.


None of us are particularly into expensive or extravagant gifts at Christmas, birthdays or any other time for that matter.  We prefer smaller items that are useful and don't cost an arm and a leg.  We are all into making and receiving handmade gifts or secondhand items as well so with a little creativity and some penny pinching we'll make Christmas happen.  I'm not worried about it at all.

We like to give to our friends and extended family as well.  We've come up with a plan to make that happen too and while not a lot of money will go into these gifts they will still be very nice.  I'm actually looking forward to this part the most.  It is going to be a lot of fun putting these gifts together.


Christmas can happen, even with a slim budget or even no budget at all.  I'll show you how as we get started.  And in the meantime be sure to check out all of the Christmas posts I've put up so far this year and some of my older ones too.  There are loads of thrifty ideas going back quite a while.

With less than three months until the big day it is time to get down to business!



12 comments:

  1. I love your Christmas posts and can't wait to see what you do and how you do it. You can do it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too. I've been able to squeeze out little bits of cash here and there to pick up stuff so I've got a pretty good start on things.

      Delete
  2. I used to get all my personal care items in my stocking - toothbrushes, toothpaste, floss, chapstick, the good shampoo - it was great! Now I have to be a grown up and buy those things myself.

    - Molly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I fill stockings with too. My girls love it.

      Delete
  3. I’m looking forward to these posts!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My side of the family have agreed to only give presents to the kids (yay!), but I've tried to get my husband's side to do the same for years - to no avail unfortunately...and they are the ones that don't need anything. I love Christmas but every year I have to fight off my resentment of having to give gifts to those who have everything already but still expect something! Also, I try to stick to giving consumables only (food/drink) since I have an aversion to "junk/clutter/stuff." :)

    D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm doing consumables too. We are all trying to de-junk and de-clutter. No point in giving people a bunch of crap they have to get rid of.

      Delete
  5. I am a firm believer in doing Christmas your way. Your way strikes me as very thoughtful, and it really appeals to me.
    Personally, I'm not bit on the consumerism/commotion/emotional obligations of Christmas. I like a small, quiet, intentional celebration with my family. I love the decorating, baking, special foods, music and long nights in. Advent is my favorite season--we love the run up to Christmas in this house. I love making cards and gifts, (baked, needlework and candles) for those I love, but gladly leave the chaotic schedules, and mindless consumption behind.
    I enjoy your Christmas posts, and admit that I shamelessly copied your gift tag idea to use in my handmade cards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is wonderful Meg! I wish more people would treat Christmas that way. I like to get any shopping out of the way by Thanksgiving so I don't have to be part of that rat race too. People get really ornery in the long lines.

      December we spend the entire month celebrating the holiday. The things we remember most are what we ate and what we did. The gifts are fleeting and we often forget them. Sad, but true. We are all about the experiences. :)

      So happy to hear you copied my gift tag idea! That is wonderful.

      Delete
  6. It doesn't have to cost a lot! It's the love that's shared.

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...