Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Dollar Store Cuisine - Challenge #5



My youngest took on the next challenge and to be honest I was a bit skeptical about this one.  Sometimes the meat selections at the dollar store are just plain weird and although the ingredients listed seemed fine I was still dubious.  The girls reported it was surprisingly good, however, so here goes.


She made chicken fried steak with gravy, rice and steamed broccoli.  This one was pretty thrifty at just $4, especially since she still had rice leftover from the fried rice she had made, and it fed two people a good sized meal.  There was even some broccoli and rice leftover to add to another meal.


She began by preparing a cup of rice.  Then in a little oil she fried the breaded steaks about 5 minutes per side over medium heat.  After removing the steaks to a plate she poured the gravy into the pan and heated it through while the broccoli took a quick spin in the microwave.

What a cute little chef!


To serve she place a steak and some rice on each plate and drizzled it with gravy.  She added a serving of broccoli and dinner was on the table.  Both girls were happy with the results and said it was really pretty good saying they would make this one again.



3 comments:

  1. It sure looks yummy. I'm a lot like you though, not sure I would have bought that meat from the Dollar Store. All's well that ends well... right? lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was all "Are you sure about this?" I guess they are more adventurous than I am. LOL

      Delete
  2. I love this challenge! Healthy meals that don't cost much but aren't fast food is what I need. Using up all my food by freezing and making more meals is what challenges me. I like how you bring home your meats and you divide it right then freeze some. Or when you cook more than one meal at a time and are able to eat one immediately and freeze the others. I buy canned goods at the Dollar Store, but ours doesn't have a freezer or cold section. I wondered about that being adventurous too. I get lots of good advice from you on saving money.

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...