Friday, November 16, 2018

Christmas Project #11 - A Simple Elegant Wreath



Last month the youngest and I stopped in at Hobby Lobby just to see what we could see.  I hadn't been there for a looooong time so it was fun to pop in and see all of the super cool stuff they have for decorating you home and making the holidays special.

I had a kitty helper too

One thing on my list to do this year was to replace our lost wreath.  Somehow it disappeared from our storage area in our garage while we were away living the RV life.  Not entirely sure where it got off to, but after four years I really wanted to replace it.  My budget to get the job done = $10.

Pinecones, berry sprigs, wire, wire cutters, a clip on bird, ribbon and a plain wreath

Lucky for us Hobby Lobby had all of their holiday stuff on sale for 40% OFF and that included their wreath making supplies.  We found the perfect sized wreath for $9.99 on sale for 5.99 and three sprigs of berries on sale for $2.79.


I had plenty of wired red Christmas ribbon at home that a friend had given me.  A few days later I picked up pinecones off the ground at work when I got ready to leave with the idea that I could add these to the wreath.  I had found a pretty little clip on bird at Dollar Tree last month too that I thought would be a perfect addition.


The young one and I got busy and fluffed up our Plain Jane wreath.  Then using wire we had removed from the roll of chicken wire and saved last spring I wired up the pinecones and we added them randomly to the wreath.  Then we used wire cutters to cut apart the berry springs and tucked them into the wired pinecones.

The bow actually looks better in person then it does in photos

Next thing was to make a bow out of the wired ribbon.  I am nooooo ribbon maker, believe me so I jumped on Youtube and watched a few tutorials.  I'm glad we have Youtube to help us learn and figure out what we don't know how to do.  I think the one I made isn't all that great, but passable.  We wired it onto the wreath and added the clip on bird.  Final price came in at $9.78.  Yay!



I think it is the best wreath we've ever had and it was a gob of fun to put together with my little one.  She seemed to enjoy herself quite a bit too.  Simple and elegant.  It looks perfect at our front door.



14 comments:

  1. How lovely!!! The bird adds a nice touch. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stephanie. I think it is a really nice bird for being one from the dollar store. :)

      Delete
  2. So pretty! My own inexpensive wreaths are due for an update--thanks for the ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your wreath looks terrific. It's always fun to create something beautiful that didn't cost a lot - and have fun doing it. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is gorgeous, Dana: so pretty and festive. I've forwarded your link to my sister who enjoys crafts, too. I know she'll be borrowing your idea.

    I must say, I'm full of admiration for how capable you are at crafts, DIY etc. As I mentioned on another post, I am beyond awful at anything practical. I really hope you will laugh at this anecdote about my awfulness. I went to Catholic School and the nuns who taught us were incredibly patient. I twice saw a nun losing her temper during my entire time at the school: once when I managed to sew my school uniform tie onto the shirt I was making in needlework and again when I managed to glue the spice rack I was making in woodwork to the desk��������

    Anyway, have a lovely weekend with your girls.

    Heloise xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness. That is great Heloise! You have some great stories to tell. I'm blessed that I've been surrounded by handy people all of my life and managed to pick up a thing or two.

      The key for me is to keep my projects as simple as possible. I don't do well when things get complicated.

      Delete
  5. The wreath is beautiful! What clever ladies you all are! I love Hobby Lobby. I can spend hours in there looking around at all the bargains. If they had a cafe with sandwiches, I could probably spend the day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tana. It was a really easy project.

      I love Hobby Lobby too and can spend hours there. They should have a cafe, good idea! The one here isn't close to our house, next town over and it's a bit of a trip to go there. I think, for me, that's probably a good thing. ;)

      Delete
  6. This isn't on the subject... but I wanted to make sure you saw it. A nice shout-out for you!

    http://livinglargeformuchless.blogspot.com/2018/10/a-big-thank-you-to-thrifty-mom-in-boise.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow! How cool is that? Thank you for letting me know. :)

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...