Friday, September 13, 2019

Another Small Home Improvement Project - New Doors



After three weeks without any doors upstairs I was able to pick up three new ones from Home Depot on the Saturday morning of Labor Day weekend.  I am so excited to finally be able to upgrade those old worn out cheap ones.  I have to say it gave me great pleasure to remove those busted up old doors and hall them off to the dump.  Knowing we were going to have some pretty new ones soon made not having doors at all for a few weeks worth the hassle and inconvenience.

Doors!
I know not too terribly exciting to some people, but
if you've ever lived without them for awhile, getting
new ones is pretty darn fantastic!

We all agreed we missed the bathroom door the most

Installing prehung doors isn't too difficult, but you do need to be patient and make sure you get them lined up straight and plumb.  Once that is accomplished it is a simple manner of a few shims, a few screws and you are in business.

The door for the master bedroom

Last piece of baseboard installed

With the doors in place I used trim from the second contractors pack I'd purchased at Lowes for the master bedroom and our main bathroom projects to trim around the doors.  It takes a lot more trim for doors because you are doing both sides so I ended up making another trip to Lowes for a third contractor's pack.  Once I got home I was able to finish up trimming out the doors.  With the doors done I was then able to finish up the baseboards in the master bedroom.  Next I added more trim to the hallway along the ceiling and new baseboards along the floor.

Hurray for new doors!

I added new trim along the ceiling.  Still need to do something with that trap door.

It was a lot of work and by far the most challenging of my projects this summer.  Hanging doors and trimming them out takes time.  I had hoped to have this project completed over the Labor Day weekend, however that is not how it happened and I was okay with it.  I was able to finish up over the following week and this last weekend though so not too bad.  I don't know what made me initially think I could do it all in three days.  LOL


Stay tuned because there is more to come and I won't keep you in suspense for long.  I promise.



11 comments:

  1. Nice!!! I remember when we updated the doors in our home. It was better than Christmas!!! Lol. Looks like we have similar doors.

    Another great home improvement off your list, Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is like Christmas!! I love these new doors. So much nicer than what we had.

      Delete
  2. Holy cow! When you said "new doors", I thought "just stick new ones on the old hinges." But noooooooooooo! You hung whole new doors and trim! "...just a few shims and screws..." NOT! The skills you have mastered are impressive. Good job.

    Jeannie@GetMeToTheCountry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeannie you make me blush! LOL And guess what?! They're even painted now!! Oh yeah!

      Delete
    2. You have earned the right to brag!

      My goal for today (after I can apples, do investment cooking and a couple of loads of laundry) is to inventory my paint (there is a good sale going on). If I can make myself do one thing (count cans of paint), I will be pleased.

      Jeannie

      Delete
    3. Paint can be so expensive. You have to take advantage of those sales when they come around. Sounds like you have a very full day planned.

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...