Monday, September 9, 2019

Last Week's Thrifty Moves



Sunday morning found me right back in project mode until late that afternoon when I decided to call it a day!  The girl and I finished up leftovers in the refrigerator for supper and that was pretty much it.  I was beat.

We stocked up on T.P & pot roasts!

Monday was the Labor Day holiday and a paid day off from work as well as my birthday so I decided to try to have much more of a holiday then to "labor".  That morning the young one and I headed off to Denny's where I got a free Grand Slam birthday breakfast and she picked her favorite breakfast which just so happens to be from their value menu. Our bill came to $5 plus a tip.

Great price plus a $7 OFF reward!

On the way home we decided to go to Albertson's to pick up a couple pot roasts they had on sale as well as a few other items.  I had redeemed my rewards points for $7 OFF any meat purchase. so I was eager to use that on the pot roasts.  While we were there we decided to also check out the toilet paper that was on sale and discovered an even better deal.  We found a case of T.P. that was only a penny a roll more, but had a lot more sheets on each roll.  After doing the math if figured out to be equivalent to 10 more rolls of T.P.  We loaded that into our cart too, checked out and headed for home.

I did a little decorating 😊

The only chore I was set on doing on Monday was a load of laundry I had planned to run on Sunday but didn't, so after the groceries were put away I got that done.  Both of my girls spent the afternoon with me, we barbecued steaks and fixed a really nice dinner.  They gave me a potted mum, a new non stick frying pan and two body washes from Bath & Body Works.  They really spoiled me!

My daughter reports the new center shelf is
working out perfectly!

There was a shelf missing in my daughter's mini fridge so before dinner we went out to the garage and I used a scrap piece of luan to cut her a new one.  I sanded the edges and both sides smooth before we gave it a couple coats of white spray paint.  I loaded her up with a bag of groceries before she headed back to her dorm around 6:00 and she was happy to report her new shelf fits in her little fridge perfectly.  Yay!

This is no bueno!

Tuesday morning came early and we were once more right back in the swing of things.  I began the monumental task of reorganizing what my oldest daughter has decided to leave behind and store as well as the mess that was, until recently, my sewing area.  So many things have been dumped in that room as we have been transitioning and now I need to either purge or find new homes for this stuff.  I need my sewing area back!

My oldest mad these beautiful salads for my birthday dinner

Wednesday morning I checked out the grocery store ads and determined there was nothing I needed so no other grocery shopping was done last week.  I will see what this week's ads have instead.

Grilled rib eyes & loaded cauliflower - so good!
Wednesday through Friday I spent ten minutes each morning and evening working on the "the pile".  By Saturday morning there was some significant progress made and I was able to get to my sewing machine.  Then I got busy on another very unplanned project that I am super excited to tell you about once it is complete.  This one really makes my heart soar!

I stitched up a seam that had come undone in the bottom of one of my reusable shopping bags.

I squeezed out every last bit of toothpaste from a tube in our main bathroom before tossing it in the trash.


I used up a very large ripe banana and a partial bag of leftover chocolate chips to make a couple loaves of banana bread.  The girls had some and the rest went into work to share with my co-workers.

I sold two dozen eggs to a friend and set that money aside to save up for my next trip to the feed store.  I gave the hens some extra lettuce I had in the refrigerator.  Edith came in the house and begged for a slice of bread, which she got.

We finally got some rain so I didn't need to water the lawn the last half of the week.  The cooler temperatures also meant less need to use the A/C units.

Keeping things tidy!

Some of the 15 Minute Chores I accomplished to keep my home in order:

Laundry Room & Half Bathroom - Daily swish & swipe.

Dining Room - vacuumed floor, cleaned light fixture.

Kitchen -  vacuumed & spot mopped floor. cleaned the sink, cleaned the microwave.

Bedrooms & Main Bathroom - vacuumed & dusted.  Cleaned mirror.  Daily swish & swipe.

Other - two loads of laundry, vacuumed & dusted living room, hallway & entry.  Swept front porch.

How was your thrifty week?


6 comments:

  1. Your daughters are awesome, what a wonderful birthday you had!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, I was hoping for a picture of Edith enjoying her bread... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy belated birthday! Thanks for all of your posts. They are invariably positive and inspirational (I'm still trying to get my car detailed as nicely as you and your oldest did). And now I'm going to add the cheesy cauliflower recipe to my lineup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you and thank you for reading all of those posts. Enjoy the cauliflower recipe. We love it!

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...