Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Meet Jack!



As I mentioned yesterday we have a new family member that joined us a little over a week ago.  He is a solid black rescue kitty and his name is Jack.  The vet had named him that when he came in with a wire wrapped around his neck and digging in pretty deep.  Why someone would do that to an animal is beyond me, but that seems to be what happened.  The wire was surgically removed and he began to heal.

Stella is not impressed with him
She is rather annoyed, but coming around to the idea

It just so happened that I arrived at the Idaho Humane Society the morning the vet had decided he was ready to adopt.  I wasn't sure really why I was there, but in the past few weeks I'd been looking at kitties online and feeling that familiar tug at my heart.  I looked at, petted and/or held nearly every kitty in there but none of them seemed to be right except for one little girl.  The only issue was she was reported not to get along with other cats.  That might be a problem since we have Stella.

Checking out the couch for comfy

We left the shelter covered in cat hair and went home deciding it just wasn't the right time and we would check back in a few weeks or so and see if the right kitty was there for us.  However, later that afternoon my oldest daughter showed up unexpectedly for a quick visit and to introduce us to a new friend she has met at college.  We like him very much and had a really nice visit.  Then we told her about our morning and I said I felt really compelled to go back, if nothing else, just to show her the kitties.  She insisted we did so we all piled into the car and headed back over.

After only a week with us his coat is shiny and he is really starting to fill out


I had seen Jack that morning when they first put him out and had petted him a few times, but the vet tech was working with him and I didn't really have the opportunity to hold him or do much with him.  I did get his back story though and it sounded like he'd had a pretty rough go of it.  In addition to his injuries he was extremely thin and his coat was not in the best condition.

He loves his food!

When we got there the second time I showed them the fussy female kitty and we discovered she didn't really bond with the girls although she seemed to do really well with me.  I put her back in her cage and felt terrible doing so, but in my gut I knew it wasn't the right kitty for our home.  She is beautiful though and should have no trouble finding her person.  I'm sure of that.

He also loves to hang out in our garage
Me too!

We looked at all the kitties again and I saw that Jack's adoption paperwork was now hanging on his cage and despite his obvious injuries I felt like I needed to take this little guy out and give him some snuggles.  Oh my goodness, was he ever happy to be getting some attention.  What a love!

We have two food and water stations set up right now
to make sure he gets his nutrition boosted

He was super thin and pretty scraggly, but affectionate and extremely loving.  With all of us!  He snuggled right into me, completely relaxed and started purring.  Nothing around him seemed to bother him as he lay in my arms and took in all that was going on.  None of the other cats upset him, all of the people coming and going didn't bother him.  This cat was pretty chilled out.  And content to just be held.  This was the kitty for me!  I just knew it.

I got them a new bowl at a thrift store for their dry food
I thought it looked nicer than the old one

The staff at the shelter was thrilled when I told them I wanted to take Jack home.  He stayed overnight to be neutered and I picked him up the following afternoon.  In the meantime I prepared for his homecoming and got everything ready.  Not that any of our cats are ever spoiled or anything, but he should never again know what hunger and neglect feel like.  Okay, there may be some spoiling as well.  But my goal is to make sure this little guy has the best life from here on out.

My new blogging assistant
He is not overly helpful, to be honest... 😂

Stella tolerates him, but they have yet to become friends.  I'm sure they will though as she loves to play and he is super sweet and playful.  It is hard to know exactly what this little guy has been through, but in spite of it all he has a truly optimistic spirit and doesn't seem to let his circumstances get in the way of his happiness.  He seems to really like his new home and his people.  He loves his food, which is wonderful as I'm hoping he gains some weight. He can't meow due to his injuries and he makes the funniest chirping sound instead, but we know he is telling us he loves us and his new home.  I've never adopted and adult cat before and I've never adopted a "special needs" kitty, but I'm really glad I decided to give it a go.  He fits in perfectly with our clan.



28 comments:

  1. Aw, Jack is a darling! Welcome to your new family member! He found the right home for lots of devoted care and attention. Congrats to you all--more love for everyone! <3 <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Sue, he is so sweet and super, super loving and a real cuddler. I just love this little guy. So much fun!

      Delete
  2. Oh how wonderful! Jack was definitely meant to be a member of your family and he is so cute! The annoyed Stella picture made me laugh, she will come around. :) His hard life is behind him and now he will enjoy lots and lots of love! I'm so happy for you and I do look forward to lots of pictures and updates of Mr. Jack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes he will! He is already making great strides and his neck is healing really well. I'm so happy for him to be with us. Many pics and updates to come. :)

      Delete
  3. What a heart breaking past Jack has had. I am so glad you and the girls have him now. He is in the best home ever and I know that Stella will come around. Bless you and the girls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is the sweetest boy. How anyone can be cruel to an animal like that is beyond me. I think he and Stella will become great friends. Eventually.

      Delete
  4. We knew right away when we adopted our Minnie years ago. She was a jack Russell, Doxy mix and had been very neglected. Fell in love with her right away and she was my constant companion for 15 years. She was abused by children where she lived - kicked and left out in all kinds of weather. Scrawny and timid but she was soon queen of the house. lol. She could also sense when my heart was about to speed up and go into an arrhythmia and would grab my pant leg and try to get my to the bedroom or couch to lay down. She saved me many times. When we got her I hadn't been able to drive for about a year as my heart was too unsteady and couldn't do most things like cook, shop or housework. It was a bad year and I needed someone to take care of. She was content to just be with me and it got me up off my chair and out of the bed to take her to the back yard. She heard many of my secrets and fears that I would never be able to live a normal life again. (I wasn't even able to stand for more than a few minutes during part of that year without passing out.) So I say rescue animals are the best! They give so much love and it feels good to know they will never suffer or go hungry when they are with you - they will only know love. Minnie filled out from under 10 pounds to 18 and eventually we got her a little brother - Merlin, a poodle. Well, she treated him more like her baby as she had never had any. He lived almost 18 years. For the last 3 years we have been without animals but some day I know we will go that road again. Take care and welcome to the family Jack!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like Minnie was a very, very special dog. Exactly what you needed. I am thoroughly enjoying Jack's company. He is wonderful.

      Delete
  5. It makes me so mad someone could hurt an innocent animal like that! But, there are also people like you in the world
    to protect and care for him. After all he's been through
    he is still so sweet and loving. I've no doubt you will
    have him all fattened up and healthy in no time.
    Bless your heart for rescuing him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure he has been placed in my path for a reason and I am so glad we are able to give him a good home and loads of love. He's a pretty special boy.

      Delete
  6. Welcome, Jack! I have a special place in my heart for black cats, particularly adult, black rescue cats. I LOVE it when people adopt adult kitties. Win/win. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Black cats are my favorite too. I just love them. Definitely a win/win for all of us. :)

      Delete
  7. Congrats!!! So glad that Jack has a new loving home!!!

    Enjoy, Janie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Poor baby, how someone could do that to a helpless animal is beyond me. I'm thankful he found his way to you. Sadly, because of his injuries and he's a black cat, he probably would have had a more difficult time getting adopted. Enjoy your new family member, and welcome Jack!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it strange that some people don't care for black cats. I think they are beautiful. I will love and take really good care of him.

      Delete
  9. Am I supposed to be thinking, "Jack Spratt could eat no fat, and his wife could eat no lean..." Because that would fit with the skinny part. (I couldn't figure out what 'Jack' and 'wire' had to do with each other. On the other hand, I'm not always the brightest crayon in the box.)
    He's beautiful. And he will get plenty of loving at your house! (Okay, maybe not from Stella for a while.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. I actually did think of that too when I first brought him home. He is making great strides already. I'm just tickled to have him here.

      Delete
  10. P.S. Both Charley and Ruby, our dogs, are rescues, as were their predecessors. We believe in that too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stella was a rescue kitty too. She should really think about that. Ha, ha.

      Delete
  11. My understanding is that black cats are the least likely cat to be adopted. Why, I do not know. You certainly did a good thing taking Jack into your home. Rescues never forget. :)

    Make sure to keep him in on Halloween! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is my understanding too. I have a special affection for them so it boggles my mind. He will definitely be in on Halloween! :o)

      Delete
  12. Oh what a little darling. Animal abuse makes my blood boil.

    Our last kitty was a shelter rescue (all the previous ones were just strays that adopted us) and it was the most unaffectionate, contrary cat you could ever imagine. That's why my daughter chose her, cos no one else would have her (she'd been at the shelter over 6 months when we got her). We now have a dog, also a rescue, also black - and she is the kindest, gentlest, most affectionate thing ever. She languished in kennels for ten months and was a proper buttery lump when we got her. They fed her plenty, but couldn't give her much exercise. So she's been on a diet since we got her which was so HARD, but she's now lost 14lb of her original 60lb and has reached her target weight. She can now jump up on my daughter's bed without having to use doggy stairs :-). And all that despite me growing a fruit and veg garden which in her mind is a doggy help-yourself-buffet...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes my blood boil as well. I just can't fathom it. Your doggy sounds precious. And you are providing her with a wonderful life.

      Delete
  13. You have made my day. Anytime an animal is rescued and given a loving home, I celebrate.

    Jeannie@GetMeToTheCountry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He has made himself right at home and is very comfortable now. His personality is really starting to come out now. I just love him!

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...