Thursday, February 11, 2021

Prepare To Die

 


This post is not intended to be morbid in any way, but it is something I’ve thought about time and again.  In the past year I’ve been working on some things I hope will make it much easier on my children once I pass.  The last thing I wish to do is leave a big mess behind for my girls to deal with.  Whenever a loved one passes there are a lot of emotions and grief to deal with.  My goal is to do as much as humanly possible to lighten the load and make it easier for them when this eventually happens.

 


The first thing I did last year was to update my will and create a division of property list so that the items I feel are important, mainly heirlooms or items I know my children want, are sure to go to the right person.  If they change their minds or decide to trade stuff I am totally fine with that.  It isn’t like I’d have much of a say in the matter anyway once I’m dead, but if it helps them to not have to process too much on their own then that is my ultimate goal.

 


The next thing I worked on and will continue to work on is purging, organizing, cataloging and maintaining important papers and personal information.  We have a binder, and my girls are very aware of its existence, that holds this information so they can access what they will need to once I am gone.  It will also help them to know what to do at that time as well.

 


The biggest thing for me to do now is to keep my house in a manner that it does not become a burden for them to deal with.  I might be taking a page from Swedish Death Cleaning here, but to me it just makes a lot of sense.  As I get older I do find I need less and less stuff and once both girls are completely out of the house and on their own that will be even more obvious.  As I move on I will be really evaluating the items I own and any additional items I intend to bring into the house to see if it is really necessary for me to have.  I am going to organize and reorganize things too so that I don’t end up with closets and bins full of crap that no one really knows what to do with and have no value.



I want to minimize the amount of my personal belongings that end up in a landfill.  The thought of my children having to rent a giant dumpster and have it delivered to our driveway in order to empty out my house is very unsettling.  It makes me cringe actually.  I certainly don’t want to leave that as my legacy.  Not to mention, I really don’t want to contribute all that waste either.  So keeping things neat, tidy, organized, filtered and purged is not only practical, but in my opinion an act of love.

 


While I probably still have several years ahead for me to be left on this earth, at least I hope so, one never really knows for sure.  Things unfortunately do happen and we never really do know when our time is up.  I don’t ever think it is too early to prepare for our own eventuality.  The benefit of doing this not only helps the ones I leave behind, but quite honestly, it makes life nicer and easier for me in the meantime.

 


So when you are purging and decluttering this year, keep in mind a few things.  When I die, what am I willing to leave behind for my loved ones to have to deal with?  How much do I want them to have to send to the dump?  How much work do I want to burden them with at one of the worst times in their lives?  How many decisions do I want them to have to make?  What can I do right now to help make it easier for them when the time comes?  And if you don’t have a will, please consider doing one.  As hard as it is to think about sometimes we all have an end date at some point.

 

20 comments:

  1. This post is timely for me, as my family and I are going through my dad's estate and cleaning and purging and selling....and it's a mess. Add to the grief of losing a loved one the burden and responsibility of making decisions you really don't want to have to make....ugghh. :(( Thanks for your thoughts on this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Brooke, I am so sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

      Delete
  2. The added benefit is you live in a more peaceful home right now because only what you need/use/love is present. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We call the book a person makes with all the info for their family - The Love Book. My friend lost her husband who was a Brinks driver years ago. She came home from working at the hospital and turned on the news and a Brinks truck had overturned and she saw the number on the truck and it was her husband's work truck. He was very organized and had left her a Love Book in his desk. She knew where it was and there was info on everything from bills to bank acct.s, investments and life insurance, etc... She was a wreck but at least she didn't have to deal with trying to find out all this info on her own.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a file in my filing cabinet called "important documents" which I've told my kids contains all the important stuff (naturally). House deeds, insurance stuff etc. I also set up a file called "Life in Motion" which details my bank accounts, who to contact re pensions, what my passwords are, the fact that I have death/funeral insurance and so on. I think I've got it fairly well covered BUT I need to get rid of so much stuff still. What with all the grief of losing a loved one I really believe we owe it to our kids not to make this any more difficult than necessary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful. I completely agree with you. Make it easier on them.

      Delete
  5. My husband & I updated our wills & trusts in December, so that feels good to have all sorted. I also try to stay on top of the decluttering. My husband has maybe 4x as many belongings as I do, so I gently nudge, but it's his stuff. I think we will likely down size when the kids are out of the house, so that will be a perfect opportunity to reduce our belongings even further.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure once my youngest is on her own half my stuff and all of hers will leave the premises. This house will be practically empty!

      Delete
  6. Agree with you 100% - this is something more people than you think don't take care of early enough (before they die!). Our neighbors (87+) did NOT have a will, so now everything is held up in probate as their kids clean out their semi-hoarder house. My parents, on the other hand, have everything taken care of - even went/paid for their funeral arrangements. Mom has everything in a box with a bow on it for my brother who will be handling things. It truly is the last act of love you can leave your loved ones - nobody wants to have to go through someone else's mess of bills, junk, etc. after such a heartbreaking loss. Your girls will appreciate your thoughtfulness one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you are right about that. This is a task that is easy to procrastinate on.

      Delete
  7. Such a great idea. Our oldest son knows where the safe is and the combination. I've given him the passwords to the accounts but I need to make a file of all of the important stuff. And start decluttering. We are relatively young (late 50s-60) and we have the strength and energy to do it now. There is so much stuff here that has been in storage for years and we don't need it. A great goal for the warmer months when I can work upstairs (not heated now).

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so wise to be doing this. I actually did the same thing after my heart surgery a few years ago because I don’t want my things to be a burden to my family once I am gone, I also wanted to have everything financially in place as well for when that day does happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed. I don't want my girls to have to worry about this stuff.

      Delete
  9. We have been struggling with Mom's possessions for over 6 months now. The Swedish death cleaning idea is a solid idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. It is so hard and quite emotional to part with our loved ones things. Hugs to you Anne.

      Delete
  10. My father in law died in September. He had a lot of stuff. Some we wanted but most we didn’t. You feel bad but we have no space for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In reality our things matter far more to us then they ever do to anybody else. As time goes on I'll become much more of a minimalist.

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...