Tuesday, May 14, 2013

How I Spent My Mother’s Day



Mother’s Day is supposed to be restful.  A time for Mom to sleep in late, have a gourmet breakfast served to her in bed by her kind and loving husband with the six pack abs and pecs to die for with her wonderful children, impeccably groomed and so well behaved in tow carrying a bouquet of flowers and a great big card.  Who’s house are we talking about?! 

Alright, so once I had woken up and reality set in… J 

My children slept in until 10:00 while I was up at 6:30.  Hurray!  I can get a bunch of stuff done, because that is really how it works at my house. 

I did take the time to enjoy a couple cups of coffee and read the Sunday paper.  Of course I checked the ads and clipped my coupons, just like any other Sunday.  Then I got dressed and headed off to Fred Meyer to pick up my gift for my Mother.  I always buy her a bunch of bedding plants for her flower pots.  She loves to garden and every time I think I should get her something else I end up getting her flowers for her pots.  I kind of think she expects it now and would be disappointed if I did get her something else.  When I got home I arranged all 8 plants in a really nice recycled wicker basket I had received at Christmas and we used it as our centerpiece on the table at dinner.  Then she got to take it home.  If I had been thinking I would have taken a picture. 

Next it was time to start the preparations for dinner.  I had invited my parents over and they were bringing dessert so that was covered.  I made a meatloaf out of ground pork and ground beef and added a package of frozen grated zucchini to it too.  Made it moist and delicious.  I also made a raspberry gelatin with crushed pineapple, baked potatoes with butter and sour cream,  frozen broccoli and cauliflower with cheese sauce, canned green beans, olives and pickles.  Everything I already had on hand and no shopping required.  We are water drinkers so I didn’t even need to worry about beverages. 

I had everything ready to go into the oven when they got here and the girls were still sleeping so I cleaned my kitchen, mopped my floors and vacuumed the entire downstairs.  The vacuum cleaner got them up.  We spent the rest of the day goofing off after they did their chores and mowed the grass. 

After supper we finished the evening off with a couple games of dominoes and a really decadent ice cream my parents brought.  I don’t even want to know the calorie count on that one.  It sure was good though. 

After my parents left and the girls went to bed I spent the remainder of my Mother’s Day washing up a big sink full of dirty dishes.  I vacuumed the living room once again because my cat decided to groom himself and pluck hair all over the floor last night.  Gotta love that!  Then I crawled into bed with my book and read until I couldn’t keep my eyes open any longer.  Needless to say I didn’t read long. 

Yes, I did a lot of work and no, it wasn’t restful by any stretch, but it was a wonderful day and I loved every minute of it! 

How was your Mother’s Day?

4 comments:

  1. Sounds busy & nice.

    K

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mine was wonderful too. My husband did cook for me and my family and he did the dishes. I'd always rather someone else do the dishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds great! I like doing dishes(weird, I know?) but I hate mopping floors.

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...