Thursday, May 14, 2020

Another Small Home Improvement - Pantry Upgrade



This was a super fun project for me.  With all of the prepping and stocking up we've been doing lately I needed a bigger pantry, but forget that.  We don't have the space to build a larger pantry so the one we have had to make due.  My best bet was to make our current pantry better.

The new shallower shelf actually works better to get things on and off

To begin with I went through everything and put all like items together.  I washed shelves and realized I could adjust some of them to give me better spacing and allow me to add an additional shelf.

The old top shelf relocated at the bottom is spaced to hold quart and pint jars
while the shelf above it is spaced for holding pint jars making for more storage

I removed the top shelf to give me the "extra" shelf I needed to hold my home canning.  I spaced it to hold quarts and pints as well as the one above it to hold only pint jars.  Then I needed to replace the top shelf.

These items found new homes

I happened to have a shelf out in the garage and although it wasn't as wide as the ones I have in the pantry I knew I could still make it work.  I cut two pieces of wood and screwed them in at the top, cut the shelf to length and in it went.  Although it is not as deep it is a much better size for that space and makes it much easier to use.

The top shelf now holds just what I needed
On the top shelf I have my extra food storage containers, some baking pans, picnic ware and our extra egg cartons.  That is all that I have in here for non food items.  Everything else in here is food.

Pasta, rice & beans are all in glass jars

I needed to relocate quite a few items I usually keep in the pantry, but that was fine.  I did find new homes for these things as well as got rid of quite a bit too.



On the floor of the pantry I had the perfect amount of space to hold my boxes filled with vacuum sealed dry good.  Each box has a label too so I know what is inside.  The temperature in the pantry stays pretty steady year round so it will keep nicely and the boxes will keep out any light too.

Like items together

Canned goods neatly organized

Simply adding a shelf gave me a much larger pantry and the perfect amount of space I needed.  Total cost to complete this project = $0.  Even better!


4 comments:

  1. Lovely! Our pantry in this new house was one area where I pulled out all the stops. I sprang for solid, not wire shelving, and put more time in the design of it than my entire master bedroom!
    A word to the wise, though--it looks like you have stacked some home canned items on top of one another. A master canner warned me never to stack home canned jars, because it might cause you to not recognize that a seal has failed. (I still do, though!)
    Great work. I think we have similar ideas of fun, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is nothing better than a well planned out pantry! :0)

      Delete
  2. Your pantry looks great! I have a small pantry too, with no room to build another. I have asked my husband to add extra depth to the shelves which should almost double the space in it while still having enough room for the broom and mops. I can hardly wait to organize!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That will be so nice for you. Enjoy that new space. I love mine!! :o)

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...