Thursday, May 28, 2020

My Thrifty Grocery Budget 2020 - May



May has been a very different month for me as far as grocery shopping went.  For the first time in my life I am dealing with the fact that some groceries are not available when I wanted them.  Shipments don't always arrive and there have been shortages and outages.  Things I have taken for granted.  So I focused my efforts more on my Prepper Pantry and less on our regular grocery budget.  Fortunately we have a lot of short term food items in our pantry, refrigerator and freezer so we didn't need much this month leaving me with a fair bit of extra money to roll over and use in June.


I picked up quite a few nonfood items too and still have $3.06 to carry forward and use next month too.  I purchased cat food, laundry detergent & fabric softener as well as tissues.


I purchased quite a bit of food and some non food items and supplies for the prepper pantry using extra money I earned by working overtime hours at my job and gift cards I already had.  I am keeping those expenses completely separate from my regular grocery shopping budget for now.  Once I'm done I'll be converting to a working pantry which is a use and replace method which I plan to talk about more in a future post.  Stay tuned if you have any interest in that.

I did some pretty big prepper hauls

Here is the list of food I bought this month:


$88.05 ÷ 31 days ÷3 people = $.95 per person per day!! Less than a dollar a day!!!

A very satisfying trip to Dollar Tree

Using up a lot of what we already had on hand to make our daily meals helped a lot this month to keep our costs really low.  I will take the balance I didn't use and roll it over into next month's budget.  I'm sure I can find ways to use that extra money.

I made a few runs to Cash & Carry for prepper pantry items

Were you able to come across any good sales or deals?  What are some of the items you are having difficulty finding?  Are you worried about the current state of our food supply?



8 comments:

  1. I have found many items marked down at my campus mini Target store! When college students went home, there was far less demand, and many food items sat for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought chicken tenders for $1.99/lb at Aldi's. I was pleased as that price is the greatest I want to pay for any meat. Lysol wipes is the only thing I cannot find. The shelves are pretty well-stocked, even toilet paper. I do not think things will improve and might even get worse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wipes are out of stock here too. Good buy on the chicken!

      Delete
  3. I ran into Food Maxx one morning to pick up 1/2 & 1/2 and found a clearance cart. Got 8 cans of Lindsay olives - for .50 ea.! Even at Winco I usually pay a dollar or more for these. Expiration dated in 2022. So that was it for my best buy for the week. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My youngest lives to find a deal on olives like that. And those are her favorite brand. Lucky! :o)

      Delete
  4. Yes, I am very concerned about our food supply. If you think it is bad now, look what is coming.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKLdLrVRgFE

    Jeannie@GetMeToTheCountry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really frightening, isn't it? This is an insane time in our lives.

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...