Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Prepper Pantry - Chicken & Cheese



A few weeks ago I made a large bargain purchase of boneless skinless chicken breast at $1.49 a pound as well as some five pound bags of grated cheese at $12.50 a bag.  I also picked up a five pound bag of fresh grated parmesan for $14.95.

I trimmed off any fat and made cutlets out of some of the breasts


I divided all of the chicken into a variety of packages for the freezer.  The breasts were quite large so I butterflied most of them cutting some of them into smaller sizes.  I also sliced and diced some for other recipes.



All of the chicken was wrapped in plastic wrap before it went into Ziploc quart or sandwich sized bags, then labeled with a Sharpie marker.  I date them with the month and year I package them.  Then all of the bags get put into a larger Ziploc bag, either a one or two gallon size which I find helps to ward off freezer burn but also keeps them organized.  Then into the freezer they go.



I did pretty much the same thing with all of the cheese.  I measured it out and place 2 cups into a Ziploc sandwich bag squeezing out any extra air as I closed them.  Once labeled I placed the bags inside of a larger gallon Ziploc and out to the freezer with those as well.  Grated cheeses freeze well and when thawed in the refrigerator turn out quite nice.



With the chicken and cheeses stowed away in our chest freezer we were well on our way to stocking it back up and being better prepared for whatever may come our way.  At the very least we can rest easy knowing we have plenty of good food to eat.


10 comments:

  1. What? You didn't can any of the chicken?

    I can some in jelly jars and send it to my single sons. It is convenient for one meal servings (added to burritos, mixed with mayonnaise for a chicken salad sandwich, or added to the top of a salad.) It encourages them to visit because I send canned meals back home with them.

    I'm also experimenting with canning hamburger meat. Brown it, pour off the grease, run hot water over it to remove more of the grease (necessary or the lids might not seal) add some beef broth, salt and pepper for flavor.

    I have seen recipes for canning hamburgers but haven't tried it yet.

    I have also dehydrated hamburger meat but my guys didn't like the texture. I couldn't tell a difference. (The dog loved it.)

    Jeannie@GetMeToTheCountry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I got all this chicken before I got the canner. But guess what?! We are definitely planning to can some chicken and maybe even dehydrate some. Can't wait! :o)

      Delete
  2. Smart move on the way you processed the chicken. I am going to copy you the next time I get a lot of it.
    I freeze 8 ounce blocks of hard cheese all the time and have never had issues with it thawing in the refrigerator. I slice or shred it and it works perfectly well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love cheese. Any time it is on sale I take advantage of it.

      Delete
  3. Chicken breasts and cheese, two of my favorite things and would hate to run out. I have chicken I paid $1.49 and wish I had more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do the same with our chicken breasts (it's what we mainly eat). I like having it all cleaned & sliced whenever I need to cook a meal.

    I should look for big bags of cheese like that, cause we use cheese daily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheese in the bigger bags save me $$. Especially when I get it on sale.

      Delete
  5. I've never tried to freeze cheese, but certainly plan to this summer.

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...