Thursday, May 21, 2020

A Quick Garden Update



Not a lot of news yet on the garden front.  We've had a lot of rain which has made the soil in the raised beds nice and muddy.  I'm not complaining about it though because it is moisture we need and I do appreciate it.  Our lawn is nice and green as a result so as always I look for the silver lining.

Stopped mid project by the rain

The rain and cooler temperatures have allowed the bareroot strawberries I planted to get a good start.  They are beginning to sprout leaves and the ones I was sure were goners are actually still alive.  I've got netting stretched over the top of them to keep away squirrels and birds.


The blueberry bushes seem very happy in their new home and not signs of transplant shock.  I've spread some of our homemade compost around them and kept the beds clean and weed free.


The raspberries seem to be no worse for wear either.  They tend to be much more sensitive to being transplanted and were looking pretty wilted at first.  I can tell they are doing much better now and as with the blueberries I've spread some of our compost around them as well and am keeping the bed clean and weed free too.

These things are relentless

The one thing I have been doing almost daily is pulling weeds.  They seem to pop up everywhere and with all the rain it isn't all that surprising.  Those wild geraniums are prolific little buggers and I am sure I could pull them up daily and still never get them all.  But I'm trying.  I've been stirring up our compost bin on the right hand sided and adding new stuff to it from the left hand side.  I'm hoping to have a fresh batch in a month or so to amend the lawn as well as our garden as summer comes on.

I think the chickens miss me out there with them

Next up is to finish the raised beds and get some things planted.  I need to acquire some dirt for the new bed and finish turning the compost into the two old ones.  I seem to run out of time between rain storms.  Even if I don't get anything more done I've already done a lot and I won't feel bad about that.  But I've got some tomato starts to get in the ground pretty soon and a bunch of seeds I'd like to use so I'm hopeful I will get a lot more done.  So far, so good though and I'm pleased with my progress.


2 comments:

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...