Monday, December 20, 2021

Last Week's Thrifty Moves

 


Anyone else in awe that this week is Christmas?  It just seems like the other day I was heading out to the garage to get the fall décor out of storage, but that was more than three months ago.  It often feels like time is getting away from me.  And once again this week was no exception.

 

Goodies!

Sunday morning the youngest and I headed off to Trader Joes and Winco to pick up a few items.  We didn't need anything so this shopping trip was about wants for the holidays and to finish up my prepper wish list.  We accomplished that task and headed home to get everything put away.  On the way home I told my daughter that my least favorite part about doing a big shopping trip is having to haul everything into the house.  But then, I told her, I have reminded myself how very blessed I am to "have to haul everything" into the house and then it seems rather silly to even feel that way.  So now instead of complaining I am grateful and thankful with every step.  Sometimes we just need a proper perspective.

 


Speaking of perspective, I know how workplace drama can negatively affect us if we allow it.  While no one enjoys an unpleasant situation, especially at work, I am able to balance these particular situations with the knowledge that the drama isn't mine and so far I've been able to deflect it.  We got our Christmas bonuses last week and due to the fact that we've all been working extra hard these past two years due to the pandemic and a lot of us work consistent overtime they doubled our bonuses this year.  When our president announced this via email and told us how much he appreciated our efforts I immediately replied with thank you.  I have been stunned by how many people actually complained about it.  Complained?!  Why on earth would anyone complain about a bonus?  And say it wasn't enough?  It's a bonus.  It's a gift.  No one owes it to you.  Why on earth complain?  I don't understand.  I really, really don't understand.

 


Just about every day since Thanksgiving I've picked an uplifting Christmas movie to watch, sometimes two, and I listen to Christmas music every day too.  And I often sing, so now you've been warned.  And yes!  Diehard is a Christmas movie!  Thank you Roku channel!

 


Thursday evening was the Christmas concert at my daughter's high school.  It was very nice and made for a wonderful evening of beautiful music. Friday was our annual Horse Doover Nite and we went all out with a spread of homemade Chinese food.  The food was amazing and loads of fun for all of us to get in the kitchen and cook together.  I was so happy we were able to pull it off this year.

 

A delicious spread

THINGS WE ATE LAST WEEK:  Leftovers from the week before, chicken & dressing, grilled cheese sandwich & soup, homemade Chinese food.

 


THINGS I CLEANED IN 15 MINUTES OR LESS: 

Laundry Room & Half Bathroom - Scrubbed sink & toilet.  Daily swish & swipe. 

Kitchen & Dining Room - Wiped down appliances, vacuumed & spot mopped floors.  Daily swish & swipe. 

Bedrooms & Main Bathroom - Daily swish & swipe. 

Other - One large load of laundry.  Vacuumed & dusted living room, hallway & both entryways.

 


THINGS I DID TO SAVE A SMALL BUNDLE OF $$:  Patiently waited for a $10 price drop to order our new Roku as ours is old and now considered "unsupported".  I washed out and reused four Ziploc bags and three vacuum seal bags.  I stopped our Netflix subscription.

 


THINGS I DID TO EARN EXTRA $$:  I worked a small amount of overtime.


How was your thrifty week?

 

 

8 comments:

  1. I love your attitude about your Christmas bonus! I am a teacher, so the Christmas bonus I get is a "fancy pen", I would gladly trade my pen in for a little bit of cash. I am sure you will spend it wisely and make it benefit you greatly. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Deb. I just put it in savings to go toward a BIG goal I'm working on. ;)

      Delete
  2. My week was good. I don’t understand how people can complain about a bonus either. I had someone who cannot get groceries themselves complain about them when they finally did get them rather than being grateful for getting some groceries. Makes no sense to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am often amazed at what people will find to complain about.

      Delete
  3. I've been sick and haven't left the house since 12/11 so no $ spent in a store (I ordered catfood online for the first time ever and got a 30% discount). I've emptied the veg drawer and have been cooking meals exclusively from the freezer and pantry. I will say I am ready for some fresh veg but we still have plenty in the freezer ;-)

    Congrats on the double bonus. I'm with you, why complain about a gift?

    Merry Christmas to you and the girls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE Die Hard! (Die Hard 2 isn't bad, either...another 'Christmas movie.') The Brick and I categorize Trading Places and It Happened On Fifth Avenue as other must-see holiday movies, along with National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. (that movie is even funnier, with its reference to an "Rrrrrr...vee" since we moved into the fifth-wheel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've watched 1 & 2 this year. You have to add some action and bullets to your Christmas movie watching. It can't be all kisses and tinsel right? ;)

      Love the Griswolds, so funny. Poor Clark. LOL

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...